‘Missing’ U Bend

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by DIYDave., Nov 28, 2017.

1. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

2B627920-3095-46AB-92BE-18C5BE4D7BBE.jpeg Hi all

Mate of mine recently had a new kitchen sink fitted and some pipework/drainage alterations. Work was carried out by a handyman type person

My mate provided the sink and B&Q bag of fittings (pack A)

I’ve used these fittings before and realise that you get a whole jumble of fittings, some you use and some you don’t - just depends on waste run. Unused bits were left under the sink

It’s just that the U bend in the bag hasn’t been used and just a 90 degree fitting screwed directly to sink waste

Work looks neat, solvent weld waste used, no leaks and pleasant chap, according to my mate - just I thought the U bend provides a water trap to prevent smells coming up through sink and also a ‘sump’ for debris to collect in

Waste pipe exits outside wall and sits a few inches above drain grid, also pipes for washing machine and gutter downpipe are here

Is this ok or not - I’m thinking not but ...... see photo...... thanks

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Ideally should still have a proper trap, bottle, running or P type.

3. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

4. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

It's probably going to function OK... but a U bend will also stop draughts from entering the kitchen via the sink...
    I'm not sure what the regulations are, but I don't think I'd be happy with that.

Regards,

Cando

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

6. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Thanks guys for all the input, just confirmed my thoughts that the U bend should have been used, or an alternative trap used (as suggested)

Pipes are 40mm, pretty standard kitchen waste set up

I can only guess that as most of the waste pipe is what was there with the previous sink, the new sink and supplied U bend didn’t line up but that 90 bend did so - took the short route the cheeky monkey

Thanks again

8. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

9. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

You just beat me too it...nige....
    Had one on a sink and always removing it to clean it due to smelly debis buidup.
    RS

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member