Triton Shower Issues

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Aaront1988, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Aaront1988

Aaront1988 New Member

Evening guys/gals,

My Triton shower after only a few days after installation has become really temperament, and the differenct between scalding hot and lukewarm is half a hairs breadth movement on the dial. Does anyone know what's wrong?

The shower that was previously there had the same issue and ultimately started to send out boiling drips of water/steam which is what lead to replacement. It's getting power fine, the water pressure is good to the house and there's nothing else using the water when the shower is in use. The first few days after installation were some of the happiest of my life, where the pressure was great and the you could choose whatever temperature suited the mood. It all went down from there really! Can I really have just had two showers that suffered the same fate in such a small space of time or is the issue deeper?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Always pays to fit a thermostatic electric shower, the temperature is consistent,doesn't fluctuate if a tap is turned on elsewhere in the house.

3. Aaront1988

Aaront1988 New Member

There's only me in when showering so I can safely say the water isn't getting used elsewhere. Heating off, and not got the washer on either.

4. Is this an electric 'instant' shower (with only a cold water supply) or a pumped type (with H&C)?

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Instant I say.

6. In which case I haven't a scooby what the cause is... :oops:

Aaront1988 likes this.
  7. Aaront1988

Aaront1988 New Member

It's an instant shower, only a cold feed in.

8. Soz, then. That's weird.

Very strange to have the same unusual issue with two leccy showers.

Are you sure the cold supply is mains fed and not from a cold tank in the loft?

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Thinking the same.

How old is house? could be worn stopcock, jumper washer could be restricting the flow, (bouncing) wouldn't noticed with flushing a toilet, so much as a shower.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  10. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Question is, when you get what you consider normal temperature, does it seem the dial is turned higher than it should be?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

11. Aaront1988

Aaront1988 New Member

I'm certain, there's no tank in the loft. I'm on a combi boiler and the cold feed for the shower comes from about 6 inches from the meter, downstairs below it.

Mr. HandyAndy, yes that's correct it seems way higher than it should be and also a lot higher than when it first was installed

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

What Kw shower & main fuse rating for shower?

13. Mr. Handyandy

What I'm thinking is some sort of resistance in the power connections somewhere. If the power isn't getting through as it should, you have to turn the dial up to get your heat. Sometimes the power does get through, then it burns you!

That's where I would look for problems, starting at the isolation pull-cord switch.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

koolpc likes this.
  14. Aaront1988

Aaront1988 New Member

It's an 8.5kw shower and I changed it like for like in KWs with the old one. The circuit breaker is a type B40 if that's the number you need off it?

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Thanks.

Old house, old stop cock?

Is stop cock fully on.

Has to be a reduced flow problem.

All Triton showers have a inlet filter,which can be removed & clean, can't believe it is blocked on a new shower..

Aaront1988 likes this.
  16. Aaront1988

Aaront1988 New Member

1950s house, the kitchen and bathroom taps are blasting out cold water and the flow is great from the boiler too. Would that point to more electrical?

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

No.

Your first shower was giving boiling drips of water/steam, so a slow flow through shower would heat it more, but not enough for cutout to operated.

You have same problem with new shower, so a flow issue is most likely a cause.

Is stopcock orginal one or has it been replaced, a cold tap full on & a shower flow completely different.

A full flow from a tap would probably lift jumper allowing unrestricted flow, shower flow is a little lower, so junmper could restrict flow just enough to superheat the water in shower.

18. Mr. Handyandy

Are you an electrician, KIAB?

:oops:

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

20. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Turn the dial to coldest setting ( highest water flow ) and switch it on .watch closely the water flow coming from the showerhead ,as it's running. Any signs of " stuttering" or difference in flow ? Then turn it to slowest flow ( hottest position. ) if your model has a separate switch for cold put it on cold. And again monitor the flow for any signs of difference in flow rate. If the flow is constant under both scenarios its highly unlikely to be a plumbing related problem but electrical. Check the dp switch connections , cable insulation condition. If all appears to be in order isolate the circuit at cu ,disconnect the load ,line and neutral, and measure resistance thru switch on both poles. If all in order contact triton under their guarantee they will send an engineer to check the shower .if its a fault in the install you will be charged. If its the shower you won't.