shower sink waste

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by shaun1235456, Dec 6, 2017.

1. shaun1235456

shaun1235456 Member

Hi all i was looking for a bit of advice regarding renovating my bathroom and the associated waste pipes.
    At present my waste pipes for my shower and sink are above floor level, the sink waste is boxed in and the shower waste runs behind the bath side panel.
    Im wanting to relocate the shower to the other side of the room so i wont be able to run the shower waste behind the bath anymore and the joists are running in the wrong direction.
    what i thought about doing was running the shower and sink waste out of another external wall so i dont have to cross any joists and run it into my rain water gutter, the only problem is ive got a sloping roof id have to run the waste pipes across, does this sound feasible?

ive attached some crude sketches if i havent explained my self very well.

existing: existing.png

proposed: bath 2.png

side elevation: bath.png

2. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

It believe it is against current regulations to run your wastes from shower and sink into a downpipe- they should go into the soil pipe unfortunately.

RS Plumbing likes this.
  3. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

Which way in your sketches do the joists run?

4. shaun1235456

shaun1235456 Member

It's a combined system

5. shaun1235456

shaun1235456 Member

They run left to right as you look at the pictures

6. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

If you want to keep pipes below the floor can you not do as proposed for the bath and toilet, then take the sink and bath out of the wall on the right hand side of the diagram? Combine them before they exit to minimise the number of holes in your wall?

7. shaun1235456

shaun1235456 Member

I can take the bath out at the same place it is now, its above floor but i can use a chrome pipe so it will look like it's supposed to be like that, i cant run the sink in to the bath waste as its above floor but i could box it out against the skirting i just thought if I'm going out of the wall which i propose to go out with the shower then i could run the sink waste out off the same wall as i can go below the floor. I cant go out to the righht hand side as thats a bedroom

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  8. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

You cannot terminate drainage into a rainwater gully, Shower waste is drainage and has to go to main drains whereas rainwater will often go back to local rivers and streams and should not be cross contaminated.

RS Plumbing likes this.
  9. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

I still wouldn’t run it into a RW downpipe!

10. shaun1235456

shaun1235456 Member

Why? It goes into a manhole that pics up a downstairs toilet less than 2.5 meters away. What difference does it make?

11. shaun1235456

shaun1235456 Member

It's a combined system! Said as much at top of page

12. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

To me it’s whats above ground that matters to me ,don’t care about underground. But we all have different ways of doin stuff!