Fixings for a rad on a solid wall

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Alan Henness, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Alan Henness

Alan Henness New Member

Wanting to fix a K2 600 mm by 600 mm rad to what I think is a plaster skimmed brick wall. I'm fairly sure there isn't a cavity (the houses in this area (north-west London) are known for being badly insulated) - it originally was an outside wall and seems to have about 20 mm of plaster. I want this to be secure as possible so want to go deep into the brick. Is using something like 10 X 80mm Rawlplug FFI frame fixings overkill or quite sensible? I think the hex head ones rather than the countersunk head would be better for the metal brackets:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug-universal-ffi-frame-fixings-10-x-80mm-50-pack/38928

How many fixings per bracket? Is two enough or should I go for four to be on the safe side?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Or just use a longer no10 screw and push the wall plugs under-flush so they grip in the brick rather than plaster.;)

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

That's something I always have done, pushed the wallplugs about 10mm below surface for the larger ones.

5. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

2" x No 10 screws and decent rawl plugs pushed in well, 3 per bracket. For 6mm rawl plugs drill a 5.5mm hole so its nice n tight.

6. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Which ever method you use, you are right to use a Hex Head or anything with a flat underside rather that a CSK.

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  7. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

9. Alan Henness

Alan Henness New Member

All great advice! Coach bolts must be the best choice of head - I'm never happy using CSKs on something like this: it's not what they're intended for. And the hex heads make them far easier to tighten.

Sinking the plug into the hole is also a good idea so it gets a decent grip on the brick.

Dr Bodgit suggests three per bracket - I may just go for four for belt and braces.

I think I'll go for the Rawlplugs I mentioned: I need to buy new decent-sized plugs anyway so I might as well go for the combined long plugs and the coach bolt style head. They may be a bit more expensive than separate plugs and bolts but they're cheap compared to the rad itself! For peace of mind...

One other question: the brackets have a long and shorter side, giving about 10 mm difference in the spacing of the rad from the wall. It probably makes sense to keep the rad as close to the wall as possible but is it just personal preference which way to fix them?

10. Pollowick

11. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

This is a small rad being fixed into brick - 600mm sq

Any old wood screw and red plugs would hold this, it ain’t gonna weigh much, even dbl panel and filled with water, it’s a small rad

Yep 20mm plaster is thick (maybe been bonded out) so 5.0x60mm would be more than adequate - 2 per bracket

4 fixings per bracket ? On a small rad going into brick - why o_O

12. Alan Henness

Alan Henness New Member

Thanks, Dave. Don't really have a good feel for these things so may have gone a bit over the top!

13. There is no need for frame fixings or coach screws.
    How many rads have you seen using that type of fixing,very few if any.
    All you need is some brown plugs,knock them below the plaster and some 2"--2 1/2" no 10 screws.
    People will be suggesting rawlbolts or resin fixings next.

DIYDave. likes this.
  14. Pollowick

You may be a little if you put in 3 or 4 screws fixing per bracket. 2 will be adequate with good fixings I have double panel, 1500 long 450 high K2 with just 2x60mm on each bracket.

15. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

As long as the rawl plug and screws are in nice n tight, it ain't goin' nowhere. The brackets present a shear force on the screw.

16. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

How about 20inch coach bolts through the wall with big washers either side!:)

17. Alan Henness

Alan Henness New Member

Ha!:)