Gap between the tiles and the skirting board

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Iron_Mike, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Hi

I have had some tiling done in my kitchen and I would like some advice.

A tile laser level wasn't used, meaning where the tiles meet the edge of the room, there is a gap. I think this will look stupid.

The guy doing the work has suggested chiselling into the plaster and using a finely cut tile to mask the problem.

I have thought about making the tiles slightly bigger by wet cutting some spare tiles and then attaching them to the existing tile to cover the gap. By blending the two together, you won't see the mistake I am hoping.

Any advice appreciated. I have attached a video.

Cheers

IM

2. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

3. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

I can't see what the problem is ? Where's the gap ? Looks like the skirt is covering the edge of the tiles ? Do the tiles go under the skirt ?

4. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Wouldn't that get sorted when the tiles are grouted?

5. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Need a photo from further back so we can get some context/bigger picture.

6. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

7. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

So a thicker skirting board would cover it?
    If so I would use some thin shims to push the skirting on that wall off just enough to give a normal grout line gap and use a bead of mastic along the top, once painted it will not be noticeable.

tore81 and Iron_Mike like this.
  8. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Looks like your tiler has c*cked up and not measured out before starting so he knows where the edges will be and hence avoid stupid cuts or gaps like you've got now. Do as teabreak says, or something similar I guess.

KIAB and Iron_Mike like this.
  9. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Yes doubling up my skirting from 20mm to 40mm will hide the cock up.

Think that is my best option.

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  10. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Best of a bad job. These so called Pros eh :mad:

11. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Using a laser level is irrelevant, the tiler is an idiot. He should have snapped chalklines on the floor to find the centre of the room and set the tiles out dry to see how the cuts finish at the walls. An extreme way would be to dot and dab new plasterboard on top of the existing wall, but that's not happening now with the radiator and light fitted in position. Best bet now is as teabreak suggests, or by doubling up your skirting, use the deeper skirt at the back fixed to the wall, then a smaller one at the front pinned to the back skirting.

12. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I'd get the tiler to fit some thin rips of tile spaced as per the others tight to the wall, then grout. At least then you have continuation of the floor and gives you a third option of seeing how it all looks with the skirting fitted normally. If it looks ****, then shim skirting... It may only need to come off a few mm to look fine.

Iron_Mike likes this.
  13. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Cheers lads. Has been frustrating.

Empty room, 4m wide x 7m long. Didn't envisage a cock up like this could happen.

Think I would aim to do any future tiling myself after attending a course.

14. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Scotia/beading around the skirting is another option Mike. Prob look better than doubling up skirting.

15. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Think this is the option I am going to go for.

Will have to use 20mm scotia beading to cover it up.

16. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Make sure to get a discount from the tiler. Shame, as from what I can see from the pic, it looks pretty decent as with regards to the setting of the tiles.

17. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Fill it with grout. See how it looks when all dry etc. Then go from there.

Iron_Mike likes this.
  18. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Yes will finish it and work out the best approach.

It can be covered over with scotia beading or a thicker skirting.

Luckily the kitchen units will hide the worst area (where it veers off the wall the most)

19. Mike, is the gap even along the wall length?

If so, I think the thing to do would be to remove the skirting, cut strips of tile to fit the gap, grout, and reposition the skirtings on top. If the gap was even - so that the strips of visible extra tile is also even, and the last grout line follows the skirting line, then I think it'll look perfectly fine - you won't give it a second thought after a while.

If, however, the tile line is not in line with the wall so the grout and tile strips are clearly tapering, then that would be unacceptable. However, you could then trial the best method of covering it - thicker skirting or else Scotia bead (probably the latter as significantly thick skirting would look weird).

What I wouldn't let the tiler do is to leave the skirtings in place and then cut tiny strips of tile to fit in to that existing gap to the skirting boards because that would have two visible parallel grout lines running side and side - weird.

So, the guy has just given himself a lot more work - at no extra cost to you. That should focus his mind in future.

Iron_Mike likes this.
  20. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Yes it tapers off the wall. Effectively creating a grout trench. But luckily the area it would be most off is covered by kitchen units.

The wall on that side bows in by a couple of CM. I bought a laser level to check the rest of the lines and see why this line had been messed up.

The other lines are straight. This problem all caused by not starting in the centre of the room.

Have 20mm skirting and will get 20mm jumbo scotia beading to cover the gap.

Is annoying, but is only way to get around the cock up bar ripping out all the tiles or battening the wall.