Tumble dryer vent hose

Discussion in 'Eco Talk' started by NewApprentice23, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Couldn’t see an area best suited for this question so thought it might fit here because it involves loft, moisture, dampness etc.

I have a big cupboard upstairs which I would like to put a tumble dryer in and run the vent hose through the cupboard ceiling into the loft & over to another room with an outside wall and take the hose through the ceiling and core out the external wall. I will box in the hose.

Do you think it would be ok to cut hole in each ceiling with the hose going through the loft?

Thanks in advance...

2. Have you thought about a condenser box for a vented dryer.

KIAB and NewApprentice23 like this.
  3. Thanks. I don’t know much about it...the wife is wanting it, I’ll have a look into it.

I’ve already prepped the cupboard for hose so that’s still an option aslong as I don’t create another problem....

4. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

My advice after many years of using tumble dryers is to throw out the vented dryer and get a condenser dryer. You will not need a vent and the heat from the dryer, which will be dry air, will be returned to the house to keep it warm. Heat produced by electricity is far too valuable a commodity to be thrown outside. I understand the initial cost may be an issue but when you do the maths it will be clear that the payback period for a condensing dryer will be reasonable. So you save money on heating, you don't have to make holes in your house and the house is warmer, looks like a win win job to me, also wife is happy, VERY important.

longboat, NewApprentice23 and kitfit1 like this.
  5. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

I would strongly advise you not to do this. Most of what your trying to vent out is water, yes it's hot steam, but it's still water whatever way you look at it. Your tumble dryer simply will not have the power to be able to force all the water upwards and across a ceiling. You will end up with most of that water sitting in the ducting or worse just ending back up in the tumble dryer.
    As has been said, a much better solution is just bite the bullet and buy a really good Condensing dryer.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    NewApprentice23 likes this.
  6. Thanks guys that makes sense!

It sounds as though she’s going to be getting a condensing dryer for her xmas...

7. For her christmas present?

You sound brave :rolleyes:

8. Haha she will regret ever asking me to move the tumble dryer upstairs!

9. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

If you are going down the condenser route and don't mind paying a bit more I would strongly recommend a heat pump version. Our Bosch is amazing, very little energy, no condensation into the room and all water collected in a tank that can be emptied manually or piped to a drain.

NewApprentice23 likes this.
  10. Thanks for that. What model of Bosch do you have?

11. Bob Rathbone

We have a Mile heat pump dryer, it is excellent, but there again it was near to £800! Brought it to replace a Hotpoint fireball. NA, you will not look back after buying a condenser dryer, and your wife can use the condensate water in the steam iron.

12. That’s going to be an expensive Xmas but sounds like a good investment.

13. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Or stupid!!!!!! NO offence!!!!!lol

14. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Its a Bosch WTW87560GB

That price for the Miele seems good

15. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Not ever given this sort of advice on any forum before, but *** don't buy the wife a tumble dryer for xmas and expect to get away with it :D it's a disaster waiting to happen ;)

16. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

A washing line is cheaper and gets the missus out as well :)

masterdiy likes this.
  17. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Bob, Can you give us the model Mile you have.
    Been looking for a replacement for our zanussi
    The Bosch series 8 is rather expensive.Ta.

18. Bob Rathbone

It is a TMB540WP according to the label below the door. Brought it off the interweb.