Gap between the tiles and the skirting board

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Iron_Mike, Dec 8, 2017.

1. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

As an aside, what colour grout are you going for ??

Just if it’s white grout, on a floor, it won’t stay that white after 6 months, more greyish unfortunately

If your going for white, look into epoxy grouts. More expensive / more difficult to use and finish / more time to apply / more hassle all over / but far superior properties against staining and discolouring against cement based grouts

Dunno if you would trust your tiler though with epoxy after this unfortunate mistake

Anyway, worth a look, but you may be going for a colour anyway so not such a problem

2. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Going with Gunmetal,which is a light grey.

I have highlighted the issue with our tiler and the fact scotia beading is going to be needed to hide the fault.

This has gone down like a lead balloon.

He does not believe any real issue exists and that chiselling into the plaster and using slither tile cuts isn't a problem.

Was not what I expecting to hear.

3. Springbok43

Springbok43 Member

Have you hired a clown?

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

How have the tikes fallen on the opposite wall with regards to the skirting?

5. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

On the other wall, the tiles are too wide, so tiler has chiselled into the plaster to fit them in.

The impression I got from speaking to him, was that I was making a mountain out of a molehill. But ultimately, I will have to spend extra money on scotia beading and glue due to a tiling error.

Let alone the time wasted chiselling into walls.

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

:rolleyes: Don’t understand the bit about chiselling into the plaster on both sides to make the tiles fit ?

Surely you just cut them to size

I’m only diy but have done a fair bit of tiling in several properties over the years

I always think and plan the layout for ages and in particular, where cuts will fall, where whole tiles will sit and avoiding slithers at ends/corners

But, there seems to be so many different opinions on laying out tiles. Some measure wall/floor dead centre and tile outwards from this line - still checking before you start what size tile you will end up with either end

Some start a wall with whole tile and end with cut, starting joining wall with another cut tile and so on

I like symmetry myself, takes more working out, not always possible working around say a bath and windows but firstly planning the lay out is massively important, even dry laying a row or two, including the spacers you may be using

Politely tell the tiler how you would like your floor to look, and how you have decided to deal with the gap. Slithers never look good, and these will be approx 20mm ? Rubbish

If he’s not happy, tell him to pack up and leave the job, no point carrying on with a bad attitude

Work out what you may owe him for work completed, materials, then minus an amount for poor planning, delay, contracting another tiler to finish and any other materials now needed - ie trims

Good luck

7. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

His wet cutter has broken and he is suggesting cutting tiles with an ankle grinder instead...

I not happy with this, as how can an ankle grinder get you sharp cuts?

8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

What type of tiles are they mike?

9. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Porcelain

10. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

How thick? Should be able to dry cut.

11. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Putting all other issues to the side, you can get a clean cut with an angle grinder with a decent diamond blade.

12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I'd also like to know about this 'chiselling into plaster' effort.

What?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

13. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Prob starting against the far wall with a full tile, but wall not quite straight at some point so chiseling a bit out to save cutting the tile.

14. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

20mm

15. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Think to free up a few more mm so the slither tiles are not as anorexic.

Considering the full size tiles are 600 x 600, having 30 mm tiles as you come in will look weird.

16. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Hi, just getting to the back end of this job now.

In regards to the area I am covering with slither tile cuts, as these will be covered by skirting and scotia beading, could I bring the level up with self leveller and avoid having to wet cut a bunch of angled 20/30mm tiles?

17. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

9mm board over the wall and skim.. Pack wall out basically.. Can't see any other way other than bodge up

18. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Yes

Iron_Mike likes this.
  19. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

I have a light and rad fitting, so can't do this.

But with the scotia beading, I can cover it up.

20. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Agree

Iron_Mike likes this.