Lead free solder

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Stan Lee Blade, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Stan Lee Blade

Stan Lee Blade Active Member

Do the Yorkshire type fittings come loaded with lead free solder these days?
    The reason I am asking is that I am going to fit an additional radiator in my bungalow after getting an estimate of £400
    I am of a mature age and was trained years ago as a gas fitter. I had a 12month course on all pipe fitting including steel and lead . I am more than capable of performing this task, although I never took up the profession for a living.
    I know the pipes run across where I want the new rad as I have detected heat under the carpet with an infrared thermometer when the central heating is on .
    ( We have a wooden suspended floor )
    I have in the past always done my own plumbing but was thinking recently about this lead free issue
    I could use end feed fittings and use my own lead/tin solder and flux that I have used for years .
    If I do use the Yorkshire ( pre-loaded ) fitting I guess I should buy some lead free solder and flux as I like to add a little wipe of solder around the fitting after the pre-loaded solder appears .
    Does lead free and tin/lead mix ?
    I have just purchased a new, good quality blow lamp that will run on propane and MAP so should handle lead free solder that I understand need more heat.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Yes they do Stan, whilst leaded solder is still freely available it cant be used on a potable water supply therefore Yorkshire will comply with all scenarios.

3. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Yes-they now have lead-free solder. Funnily enough, as a DIYer I asked the same question of the Yorkshire rep at a recent PHEX. He said "they have been lead-free for several years". With your radiator job I don't think you need need lead -free as its not potable water. As an aside I HATE lead free solder with a passion!

4. Stan Lee Blade

Thanks for that
    It’s the first time I have really given this issue any thought
    I guess I will just use the end feed fittings and use my own lead/tin solder : As you say its for a central heating radiator, we won’t be drinking it. i was brought up In a house till the age of 20 years of age that had lead pipe throughout ..I don’t think it has done me any harm

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  5. Stan Lee Blade

It is the first time I have really given this issue any thought : I have always used lead/tin solder.
    I guess I will just use the end feed fittings and use my own lead/tin solder that has served me well for years .
    It is for a radiator so we will not be drinking it.

SIRJOHN19 likes this.
  6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

If your gonna be using Yorkshire fittings, then giving them a wipe of solder as well, why don’t you just use end feed throughout

I’m only diy but forced myself to learn to solder copper with some offcuts of pipe and a handful of fittings. This was just practice at the garage workbench before carrying out any soldering within the house

Pleased to say fairly happy with results after a lot of practice and never had a leak ...... yet :eek:

A nicely soldered joint, shiny copper and just a hint of solder showing is a thing of beauty (to me) :)

candoabitofmoststuff and KIAB like this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Hate it when I see joints over flowing with solder, & all down the pipe.

Dave does Gas likes this.
  8. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Grapes!!!!!

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Old plumber I worked with called it pigeon ****.

10. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Me too DIYDave. Second only to a golden stream of brick dust emerging from my hammer drill hole.

candoabitofmoststuff likes this.
  11. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

given that half the population probably grew up with lead supply pipes, how much risk is there to using lead/tin solder in an end feed? Might not be regs, but risk must be as close to zero as it is possible to get. I'm still using the same reel I've had for yonks no idea what it is, but as I DIY I guess about 2 joints a year on average, it's probably old enough to be the full fat variety!

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  12. Stan Lee Blade

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  13. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

And a hand cut joinery joint with no gaps!
    Regards,
    Cando

KIAB likes this.