Have I got a kinked pipe?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Zafod, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Zafod

Zafod New Member

I've just moved house (it's 10 years old). The main bedroom radiator is not heating up at all.
    - The pipe leading to the TRV is hot.
    - The system has plastic microbore pipes.
    - I've checked the TRV nipple and it moves up and down as it should
    - The Lockshield valve is open (no heat in the pipe from this valve)
    - I've bled all the radiators (no air from any)
    - I've balanced the system (all rads really hot except the main bedroom which is cold all over)
    I got a local plumber in to fix the problem. He says it's probably a kinked pipe and it would need the walls chasing out to locate where the kink was. This could be a big expensive job (plastering and decorating needed too).
    Before I give the go ahead for this, is there anything else I can do to make sure that it definitely is a kinked pipe? Many thanks!

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Wouldn't bother chasing out walls to locate it, I would just lay a new pipe run( might be easy, all depends on way joists run) from manifold (presume it's connected to one) to the radiator,thereby bypassing the problem, a lot easier option.

3. Zafod

Zafod New Member

Thanks for the speedy reply. Do you think it could be anything else than a kink - or is that the most likely problem? Cheers.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Could be some crud causing a blockage, microbore piping can give you so much grief, do you have a magnetic filter fitted. if not then recommend Magnaclean Pro 2.

If no filter, I would fit one & add some Sentinel X400 cleaner to system & leave it a few weeks to run around & see what happens, 10 years old system, be surprised if no crud in system.

Then drain down, throughly flush system, refill, if it solves problem then add sentinel X100 inhibitor.

The filter & cleaner might just save you a large bill.

5. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Also, as it's microbore, a blocked pipe is more likely... but it seems to me that if the radiator itself has a blockage this would give the same symptoms... and checking if the radiator is blocked is easy...

Turn off valves both ends, remove radiator, watching out for spillage of (very dirty), water, then flush it through.

Plenty of vids on You tube showing how to do this I'm sure.

I repeat that blocked pipe is probably more likely, but if the problem is with the radiator this is an easy, quick, and cheap fix.

Good luck,

Cando

KIAB likes this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Lay plastic sheeting on floor around radiator, as dirty water will stain a carpet.

7. Zafod

Zafod New Member

[
    Thanks to you both. I'll give this a try first. All the very best!

8. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Take rad off.....
    check for crud....
    flush it.....see if its was blaocked.....
    open tvr...and see if you have a flow....(into bucket) with system running.
    i suspect the tvr is faulty ...or the lockshilld...open that as well....
    get back to us....
    Rs

9. Zafod

Zafod New Member

Thanks for the advice, will do. I'll reply again when I've done it - cheers!

10. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

I would shut all rads off apart from the problematic one and run the system. That's often all that is needed to clear a blockage.
    If successful, balance the system so that every rad is heating as it should and give the system the tlc it needs when the weather's a bit better.
    Worth a try at least.

11. Zafod

Zafod New Member

Thanks for the advice. I've already done all that you suggested. The one rad still has no heat. I appreciate your help.

12. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Whatever happens you are likely to shift some crud and that will start flowing round and settle somewhere.

KIAB has already mentioned fitting a filter, I would suggest doing that NOW before you trying anything else, that way, anything that is shifted could well be picked up and held but the filter rather than staying in the system and causing more problems.

Then, retry the various suggestions including removing the problem radiator, with valves off and then checking the valves. As you have hot to the TRV, I would suggest that the problem could be the valve or just inside the radiator - if it was working you would still get a little convection flow through it

KIAB likes this.
  13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And blockages in microbore piping, can be a right barsteward to clear.

14. Pollowick

And a good reason to get the crud out before it can block elsewhere.

KIAB likes this.
  15. retiredsparks

Interesting to find out what the fault turned out to be.
    RS

KIAB and WillyEckerslike like this.
  16. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Agreed. I can't see a pipe kinking itself voluntarily so I suspect some crud somewhere.

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Intresting to see what magnetic filter collects, if OP fits ones.

18. retiredsparks

Anyone know what the effective recirculation time is needed to collect and retain said particulate matter.
    RS

19. Pollowick

If fitted correctly on the return, just before the boiler then the time should be just minutes when it is flowing. The magnets are extremely powerful and very little should get past and go back into the system. If you fit one to an old installation, within the first hour a massive amount will have been collected. After that is the time to work around the radiators, giving each a good shake and slapping to vibrate and piles of sludge and get them moving too.

retiredsparks and KIAB like this.
  20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And adding a cleaner like Addy MC5,MC3 or Sentinel X400/X800 will speed up dislodging accumulated crud in the many nooks & crannies in a system, & keeping it in suspension until collected by the filter, rather than settling elsewhere within the system.

retiredsparks likes this.