Magna clean

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by bright_Spark, Dec 26, 2017.

1. bright_Spark

bright_Spark Screwfix Select

I want to install a magna clean on my combi boiler in my garage, heating engineer said I have sludge in my system and need a powerflush, He is from british gas, told me it would be £800 for a power flush. Is it the same thing if I take all my radiators off myself (one at a time) and flush them out myself outside with a hose pipe and then fit a magna clean?

2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

No it’s not. Power flush has a more powerful pump that pumps clean compounds round ur system , hopefully putting most of the carp into suspension. You can then pump the water to drain whist replacing said water . You end up with most of the filth gone. Fit ur filter with cleaner in it and see how much more you end up with in the filter.

3. bright_Spark

Bugger. so I need an £800 powerflush, thought there must be more to it than just cleaning out the rads. thanks for your reply

4. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

£800 - a rip off. It will take 1/2 day or so for one person, maybe a day for a really large system.

I wonder how much commission is paid for every power flush sold?

No reason why you cannot remove each radiator and fully wash through with a high power hose to clean that out, then refill and empty the system several times after installing a magnetic filter. Well worth trying if it will save you £800.

nigel willson and longboat like this.
  5. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

As said yes good idea! But don’t get it done by BG!!!!

6. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

£800 quid. That's Carillion for ya.
    These powerflush units are a packaged time saving unit that will certainly do the job, but, there's more than one way to skin a cat as, pollowick has shown.
    Anyway, you can hire these units for about £60, for a day, https://www.hss.com/hire/p/central-heating-flusher
    I guess the question is, do you value half a day of your time to be worth £700, odd, quid or not?

However, I'd still follow, pollowicks advice tbh.

7. Pollowick

Whether teh OP does it himself or gets someone in he will still have to use up 1/2 day or so of time. Do it himself (and save) or pay someone to do it whilst standing around doing very little.

bright_Spark likes this.
  8. bright_Spark

That's what I was thinking, got to do some good

9. bright_Spark

I hate sounding thick. But do these come with instructions and how easy is it to do, don't mind hiring one if I can do it

10. Pollowick

From reading plenty of your posts, you appear to have the knowledge, capability, competence, ability, approach and willingness to try. So, why not.

Flush te radiators separately, then wash system through. Install Magnaclean, refill, add flushing solution, leave to work for prescribed time. Flush and refill with inhibitor.

When the Magnaclean is fitted, I always suggest that to check and clean it:

Once an hour for a day,
    Once a day for a week,
    Once a week for a month,
    Once month for a quarter,
    Then, once year.

KIAB and longboat like this.
  11. Put some sentinel X400 in the system and let it run round for a few days or a week,then flush the system and hose out the radiators.
    Flush the system a couple of times,fit the filter and add some sentinel X100.

bright_Spark likes this.
  12. bright_Spark

This has just saved me £800, I nearly fell for it. I am capable of taking off a radiator and putting it back on but that is my basic knowledge of plumbing skills. If I hired the machine, do I need to disconnect my boiler, it is a combi boiler or does it flush around it?

13. Pollowick

If it works, I'll send you my consultancy bill!

14. bright_Spark

If it works I will pay it lol

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Powerflush is a quick way to make money,a lot of money & I've found out power flushingi isn't always 100% effective.
    Prefer using a Magnacleanse if sysytem is really & leave it connected a few weeks or even a month, it will clean your system throughly, but not so aggresive as powerflushing.

Fit a Magnaclean Pro 2, add some Sentinel X400 & leave it few week to run around system, should get results, if not go on Ebay & buy a Magnacleanse to fit to Magnaclean, use it then sell on, you should get your money back in full.

Flush the system a couple of times,fit the filter and add some sentinel X100 & Sentinel X900 Filter Aid, this will keep any crud in suspension.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    bright_Spark likes this.
  16. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

To your knowledge does the system work ok just now?
    If yes just hose the rads and fit a mangaclean pro 2 with suitable chemicals if that’s within your capabilities.

17. bright_Spark

wow this is getting better, ok so what is a magnacleanse?

18. bright_Spark

Ye all is working fine, I have just had British gas down to change my pump as we are on a contract, they said it was down to sludge in my system and unless I get a powerflush done they will not garauntee to repair anything as they will put it down to sludge in the system, then asked for £800 to book it in

19. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

If to your knowledge it’s still working then I’d guess sludge is at a minimum just now.
    A magna pro 2 and some chemicals may suffice.

BG are idiots. If you noticed a drop in heat output from the rads then sludge could be an issue.
    They could just be saying a powerflush is required when not.

Even if sludge wasn’t an issue at present a mangaclean pro 2 and some chemicals would only benefit the system.

20. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

There are several online mutterings about BG 'encouraging' contract customers to have a power flush when seemingly not required.