Amazon Echo Dot.....thingymajiggy

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Rulland, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Got one for crimbo, just hooked up a couple of compatible plug in jobbies, so Alexa turns my crimbo lights on/off etc, replacements for just WiFi ones.
    She links to my av amplifier and chucks songs to it, when I say 'connect' and 'disconnect.
    Plays stuff I ask her to, anyone add to what she can do?.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  3. bright_Spark

bright_Spark Screwfix Select

Youv'e done well m8, had mine a year and all I ask is the weather. It can link into your heating system too and smoke alarm to switch off the boiler in case of CO detection. Only nest I believe at the moment

4. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

I've just installed a big RAKO system on a house refurb. I've installed a cloud gateway so all the lighting can be controlled by Alexa...you can even say what colour you want the RGBW strip and what percentage to dim it. Here's a pic of all the RAK 4's and cloud gateway.

Attached Files:

KIAB likes this.
  5. bright_Spark

Now that does look a nice bit of kit, fancy something going wrong with any of that :)

KIAB and leesparkykent like this.
  6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

It'll all end in tears!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. leesparkykent

Yeah over 10k worth of kit there...does all the lighting and blinds. good kit that I would def reccomend. Started fitting RAKO when LUTRON seemed to fall behind the times with LED dimming compatibility.

8. bright_Spark

Fitted Lutron stuff before but not that. lutron is getting updated I have heard but needs to be. Looks the business that stuff

leesparkykent likes this.
  9. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Alexa, fart.
    Alexa, how many sleeps till Christmas?
    Alexa, play Christmas Shopping

Repeat those three continually for 7 days and you will have an idea of how my Xmas has been.

bright_Spark likes this.
  10. Shaggy

Shaggy Active Member

Son bought us an Echo plus for chrimbo and so far only asked it the time, a weather report and play loads of music we haven't hear in years.
    It also has a Phillips Hue lightbulb that works with it, unfortunately it's the wrong fitting for any of our lights:confused:.

11. leesparkykent

Yeah I was supposed to go to a lutron training day at the start of this month but had to miss it as was snowed under with work. Looking at doing it in January just to see how it is now. At one point you had to install a seperate Lutron panel just to control LED. I'm doing about 4 jobs a year ATM where customers are asking for smart controls...I'm starting a 6 bed newbuild 1st week back Jan that's having RAKO lighting and blind control, heatmiser neo heating controls with home hub and geo location, comlite cameras and gate access, intruder alarm, Sonos etc that can all be controlled by simple control. The HDMI 4K matrix is 7 grand alone. https://www.simplecontrol.com/

12. bright_Spark

Going to have to look into this stuff. I like Lutron but only because I am familiar with it, I like the look and sound of RAKO.

13. bright_Spark

Is that app good for it all. Have you used it?

14. leesparkykent

Yeah it's spot on. You can still control everything by the seperate apps but it's nice to be able to control the lot from one. I've been looking at Loxone...kit looks really good but the cheeky Gits want £600 to go on their training.

15. bright_Spark

I find it incredible how some feel the need to charge, especially when you are specing their gear and buying it.

16. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  17. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

I just say;
    what is the time
    whats weather like
    turn telly on
    turn lounge lights off
    put music on
    turn on cooker
    etc.

...and it has worked very well....but my system costs a lot more than 10 K......
    RS

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  18. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I know what you mean. Worth every penny though.

retiredsparks likes this.
  19. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

I realised it was a long term investment.
    But now I cant afford a new model.
    Altho I have heard the new models are very interactive and reply with things like...do it yourself, in your dreams, no chance, get stuffed...and .....I am not doing that again.
    RS

20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Think RAKO has the edge over Lutron, they seem to lagging behind a bit.

bright_Spark likes this.