Brick slips meet ceiling coving

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Robert Fall, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Robert Fall

Robert Fall Member

Would be grateful for any advice.

Going to get a woodburning stove fitted in our kitchen.

Then going to fit some brick slips behind it to look something like this;
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1v3vedH933Z2fCYot99lKrQosfms0E6Z8

Problem is the ceiling coving;
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pgGN795TkPG7MYHqtV0PyNKU9ZUNAGel

Not sure what to do when I reach this. Seems the best thing would be to remove the coving on this wall completely. But will that mean the ceiling needs replastering? How easy would it be to patch this up and keep it looking OK. I have no experience of plastering, I'm guessing I'll need a professional in to do this bit?

Can anyone recommend a good guide to fitting brick slips? It's an exterior wall so I'm guessing it's more of less just like tiling?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  2. Brick slips - never done them, but - yes - it'll be like tiling! I'm sure there's plenty vids out there on t'Tube etc.

As for the coving, yes the only decent way is to remove the existing - slice along each join between it and the wall and ceiling - and run away. It looks like a standard profile and almost certainly size too - so just buy lightweight foam type coving (the 'dense' stuff with a completely smooth finish). You shouldn't have much difficulty fitting this in place - just use solvent-free adhesive, and stick it over the slips (this will also save you having to take the slips exactly to the ceiling line - phew!)

Getting the new length to fit in with the two existing sides is the tricky bit. Either cut the sides to a 90o internal mitre as normal (tricky when it's in situ) or else make the replacement length 'fit in'; use scrap pieces of coving to work out the correct shape. (You will be surprised at what this will be...) You will need filler in these corner joins too - no question :)

3. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I think the OP is suggesting removing the coving from that wall and not replacing it.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  4. D'oh! You're right :)

Hmmm, what to do? If you really just want to remove it and make good the wall and ceiling, this will (should...) only need a bit of sanding and the odd bit of filler.

I think it might look weird, tho', with coving down the sides and not along that wall. Also, you'll find the two side runs will almost certainly have been mitred in the corners, so will have missing pieces.

I think I'd personally refit coving along there, on top of the slips. (Mind you, poly stuff will melt if it's too close to the flue! But it's likely to be far enough away, I think...

5. Robert Fall

Robert Fall Member

Thanks for the replies. Think I'm definitely going to need to remove the coving before putting the slips on. Might just see what it looks like minus coving to start with.

6. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I would consider cutting the coving at 45 degrees about 100mm each side of the slips. Have done it here with te cooker extractor and it looks fine. You may need to take it all down and re-instate with new but that will be better than one wall without coving .

7. Robert Fall

Robert Fall Member

Thanks. can you upload a photo?

8. Pollowick

Will do later today.

9. Pollowick

Here you are. In the case the pipe is not vertical, due to a joist above (I believe) but would be covered by a stainless steel housing. In your case take the brick slips all the way to the ceiling and then have the tips of the coving close up or just touching.

Extractor_coving.jpg

10. Robert Fall

Robert Fall Member

Thanks for this. My pipe will go through the wall rather than the ceiling. I thought coving might look odd on a wall with bare bricks but I've found this pic and it looks OK. Problem might be finding coving of the same size to what is already on the other 3 walls...

[​IMG]

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Post photo of coving.

You work out size of coving.

[​IMG]

12. Robert Fall

Robert Fall Member

Here you go. The coving is not wide enough at the bottom to stick out over the brick slips, so would look odd (and make it obvious that the bricks were slips, rather than real bricks). I was just going to remove it completely, so the wall with the brick slips would just meet the ceiling at a right angle. The other option is to remove it and try to find an identical size coving to replace it with.

upload_2018-1-9_10-40-23.png
    I want it to look a bit like this (below) when I'm done, but the pipe will have to go through the wall rather than the ceiling as there's a bedroom above it, and there will be coving on the two white walls;
    upload_2018-1-9_10-46-0.png
    Decent bit of free sotware this by the way, roomstyler.com

Attached Files:

13. Pollowick

If you are just doing a 1m wide vertical strip rather than a full wall, you could still use a similar way to my suggestion even with te pipe going out. I have seen it done that way - but no pictures.

14. Robert Fall

Robert Fall Member

Thanks Pollowick - I think something similar to the way you've done it would also work for the whole wall. Just have the coving on the two sides run straight into the brick slip wall at the top edges with the end curves tidied up. Downside of this is I might need to get a bit of the ceiling replastered. Excuse my rubbish drawing!
    upload_2018-1-9_11-36-6.png

15. I don't think there's a single 'proper' way to do this - it's simply a matter of personal taste.

The fact your flue is going out through the wall is a bonus as coving wouldn't have to avoid it if you decided to go for coving along that wall.

Looks like your two options are: as you have drawn in #14. Pros? It'll probably look more like a full 'real' wall, but basically it's down to personal taste. Cons? You'll need to 'slip' right up to the ceiling and make it look neat! Also the two side coving ends will have gaps to fill where the mitred returns were.

The other option is to 'cove' over the slips. I don't think you'll have any issues finding matching coving - they tended to be pretty standard sizes. You'll find both 'plaster' coving and lightweight 'dense' poly types - they are as near identical as to be not noticeable.

Either way, you must post pics of the finished job :)

16. Robert Fall

Robert Fall Member

Just need to do the pointing now.

Attached Files:

17. That looks bludy fantastic!

You found an image of what you wanted, you replicated it and it came out as hoped. Blimey, that doesn't happen often :)

Can't quite see what you did about the coving issue - it looks as tho' you left the coving off that side?

18. Robert Fall

Robert Fall Member

Aye - took the coving and the skirting off and think it looks ok without them so gonna just leave it off.

19. Robert Fall

Robert Fall Member

The finished job

Attached Files:

KIAB likes this.
  20. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Looks great. Wonderful warm feeling to the room. Is the hearth a large bit of slate?

Robert Fall likes this.