CPU Security Threat

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by kitfit1, Jan 4, 2018.

1. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Some of you may have been aware over the last few days of a major security issue that affects most Intel CPU's, some AMD CPU's and some ARM CPU's.

https://news.sky.com/story/computers-face-global-slowdown-due-to-flaw-in-intel-chips-11193992

The story above is a bit sensationalist to be honest, but it does give you the gist of what's happening.
    Mac OS systems were patched a little while ago and Linux are now patched as well. Microsoft released it's patch for Windows10 yesterday, you can download the patch here :

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4056892

From what i have seen so far, the patch has very little if any slow down effect on desktop machines. Of course it is already well known that it has a dramatic effect on servers and VM's. I have an AM4 system running a Ryzen 1700 and patched mine this morning. I can't say i have noticed any slow down of the OS at all even after running loads of before and after benchmarks.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Well, conflicting infomation then, above they say the following: The threat and the response to the three variants differ by microprocessor company, and AMD is not susceptible to all three variants. Due to differences in AMD's architecture, we believe there is a near zero risk to AMD processors at this time. We expect the security research to be published later today and will provide further updates at that time.

5. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

AMD has been very very careful in the choice of wording they have used "and AMD is not susceptible to all three variants". A true statement, they are only susceptible to One of the threats. Apple, Linux and Microsoft all believe that AMD CPU's need to be patched for the moment. Linux did say yesterday though that if AMD's claim turns out to be true then the patch can be removed.

KIAB likes this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

7. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

As it happens KIAB i downloaded and installed the Microsoft patch tonight. I had also done a Cinebench run last night, as you can see the patch made no difference to cpu performance.
    If you are running Win10 this patch will pushed to your AMD rig from next tuesday anyway because it will be included in this months updates.

[​IMG]

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

9. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Yep and Intel is still pushing it out as if it affects AMD cpu's, when of course in the main it actually affects Intel and practically every Intel Cpu ever made.

"The chipmaker has worked closely with AMD, ARM Holdings, and multiple operating system makers in order to push an industry-wide approach to fixing this problem. Intel will soon have an update for 90% of their processors, something that should drop in the next few days."

If Intel are working closely with AMD, they can't have been taking any notice of the fact that AMD Cpu's are not affected by this. It will be very interesting to know how major Data centres are looking at hardware update options going into the future, because the only real way out of this mess is for Intel to completely re-design there Architecture from the ground up. To do that would take at least 5 years, AMD's EPYC is with us now of course so those Data centres i suspect will just migrate to AMD.

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Well Intel would tar AMD with the same brush,& say their cpu's are affected otherwise peeps will be jumping ship in their thousands to AMD.
    AMD's EPYC is superb,it blows Intel equivalent clean out of the water.:)
    Apparantly the EPYC 7281 in single socket mode is listed as having +63% performance (in SPECint) over a dual socket E5-2609v4 system, & it's a cheaper offering compared to the Intel.

And what made my day was reading Apple been affected as well.[​IMG]

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I love reading posts where I haven't got a scooby what's going on.

nigel willson likes this.
  12. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Apparently it's a security flaw in the processor chips made by Intel. A security flaw, no one has actually exploited yet :rolleyes::rolleyes: (but ya never know if someone will in the future) , so Microsoft etc, rush out "fixes", that apparently slow your computer down to a speed akin to a slug on temazepam. At least if someone does manage to exploit it, it will take them that long to retrieve info off your computer, they'll undoubtedly give up after a few hours. :p:p:p:p:p

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Tuesday is patch day for Windows,so expect something to appear then for it.

14. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

I do wonder just how many more "security flaws " there are waiting in the wings?

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A lot I expect,thank goodness I use AMD cpu's.:)

16. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Apple are seriously affected and they used AMD devices which are included.

From: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jan/05/apple-mac-spectre-meltdown-iphone-ipad-hackers

Appleā€™s iPhones, iPads and Mac computers are all vulnerable to the major processor flaws revealed on Wednesday, the company has warned, but it says updates are already available.

The flaws known as Meltdown and Spectre affect almost every modern computing device from all manufacturers using chip designs from Intel, AMD and ARM. Apple uses Intel processors in its Mac computers and ARM-based designs for its A-series processors used in the iPhone, iPad, Apple TV and Apple Watch lines.

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

19. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Yep, 12 year old Athlon's and AM2's. The only Ryzen CPU's that i have read about that are affected are the idiot's that have have installed them on Windows 8 and 7. AMD made it well clear on the release of Ryzen than only Windows 10 and above would be supported.