Awful smell after soil pipe leak!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Racheo35, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Racheo35

Racheo35 New Member

Any advice re the below is much appreciated!
    After a month of having a wet wood smell in the kitchen the Dyno team finally located a leak on our soil stack (after 6 visits!); the pipe from the dishwasher into the soil pipe was loosely connected meaning it was not sealed and anything that went down the soil stack was leaking out and under our suspended floor.
    On Thursday they fixed the leak and assured us it was all sorted. However the smell is now worse than ever, it is absolutely awful! Still coming from the direction of the soil stack. Could this be caused by everything drying out under the floor? How long would it normally take for an Odor from a soil stack leak to disappear. It had been leaking for a good month so I suppose there was a fair amount that leaked out....
    Many thanks!

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Spread hydrated lime will help,might not totally solve problem, but it will neturalise the sewage & kill the odour, & plenty of ventilation.

3. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Need to sterilise the area under the floor! Bactria is what causes the smell!

Racheo35 likes this.
  4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Just a thought, were the manhole covers lifted and drainage channels checked?

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Surprised it took 6 visits, pretty sure drain dye would have shown any leak, find hard to belive it was just a loose appliance pipe,I reckon you might still have a leak somewhere.

Racheo35 likes this.
  6. Racheo35

Racheo35 New Member

We are worried that may be the case we had to take out our kitchen units to access the soil stack (not an easy task as they were glued to the granite worktops! we’ve had them refitted by a carpenter because they said they were sure it was sorted..... I think we may have been naive . The service wasn’t great from Dyno to be honest! They just want to turn up and leave as quickly as possible!

7. Racheo35

Racheo35 New Member

Thanks for your reply - Yes I even had to chip a manhole out from under cement in the conservatory! The drains are all clear and have been checked twice with a camera by Dyno.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Manholes in conservatories[​IMG] just lazyness in a lot of cases of not relocating them.[​IMG]

Racheo35 likes this.