Central heating

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Im thick, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Im thick

Im thick New Member

Have an ideal 12 logic heat only boiler. Once it is got to the required temp it turns off correctly. Shortly after it starts to cycle. Turns on for a few minutes and then off and repeat this until timed period is over. Have timed and does it 6 times every hour. Have been told that this is normal for ideal boilers. Can anyone confirm that and if so should I just let it do it or can it be turned off?

2. Stan Lee Blade

Stan Lee Blade Active Member

My Worcester boiler does that. Old thermostats switch off the heating once the room is up to temperature, say 20% and the radiators are still hot ..all that heat then in the radiators will carry on increasing the room temperature which can increase to say 21%.

The thermostat will not switch the boiler back on again untill the temperature drops to say 19%.
    This results in a large fluctuation of room temperature .
    Smart thermostats (mine does in any event ) cycle the boiler when they approach their set temperature
    just enough to reach the set temperature and then maintain it, not letting it increase or decrease

Question to ask
    Does your thermostat ever show the room temperature to be above or below the temperature it is set for when the boiler is cycling . If no I guess boiler and thermostat are doing their job.

3. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

do you have a room thermostat if so which one ?

Im thick likes this.
  4. Im thick

Im thick New Member

5. Im thick

Im thick New Member

Thermostat is in front room

While cycling the temperature is at the set temp

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Some boilers have frost protection mode, boiler will fire up so many times, it can be disabled.

7. Im thick

Im thick New Member

Thankyou. For this one the frost protection is only when you turn it off.

8. Stan Lee Blade

As I said mine works like that : I initially thought I had a problem as when the room had reached the temperature it was set to the boiler kept cycling like yours .. the radiators stayed warm ( not hot ) and the room temperature was maintained at that level.
    I researched this and this was how it was designed to work supposed to be more energy efficient . I’ll let you know in February when the Gas bill arrives .
    I have a Worcester greenstar 30i combination boiler with the ST9120C controller and the DT92E wireless thermostat

How it works is say I set temperature for 20% the boiler fires continuously with the radiators really hot untill the temperature reaches 18.5 % ..the boiler then cycles with the radiators getting cooler untill the temperature reaches 20% : the boiler then continues to turn on and off every 10mins for a short time to maintain this temperature .
    Don’t assume yours is working properly I am just explaining how mine works

Im thick likes this.
  9. Stan Lee Blade

Just one more thing ..when I say my boiler cycles ..this is in fact the smart thermostat cycling it
    This is apparent by the thermostat showing the flame symbol and the green light on the programmer clicking and coming on :
    It’s not the boiler cycling on its own !
    So another question to ask
    Is your thermostat switching the boiler on and off or is the boiler doing it’s own thing .that could be another issue .
    Turn your thermostat down does the cycling stop ? It should not be running when the temperature of the room is well above what the thermostat is set at.

Regards frost my boiler like yours has internal protection that turns the pump on if the water in the boiler goes down to 8% if it does not go up after a certain time it fires up the boiler for a short period .

Im thick likes this.
  10. The Teach

Cycling on and off via the boiler thermostat is not ideal (no pun:p)
    Cycling on and off via a roomstat is ok
    Cycling on and off via a 'time proportional & integral' roomstat is even better.

Im thick likes this.
  11. Im thick

Im thick New Member

When cycling the boiler fires up with the blue light coming on for about a minute which then goes off and it thenbl boiler turns off after 3/4 minutes. 5/6 minutes later starts again. Timed it all last night for an hour and did it 6 times in a hour.

12. Im thick

Im thick New Member

Had two different plumbers out and as usual different reasons why it’s happening, spoke to ideal boilers themselves and apparently the cycling is due to the pump so new one needed, costly

13. The Teach

Indeed especially if it is not the pump :(