wheelie bin lock

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by hi2u_uk, Jan 11, 2018.

1. hi2u_uk

hi2u_uk Member

2. IIR's example on post #9 is neater and requires less fiddling to open - a quarter-turn with a 'key' rather than messing with a padlock.

But, if a meter-box key fits, you're possibly stuffed...

They'd have to be seriously warped neighbs to go to the effort of deliberately opening it tho'.

3. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

And how will the "recycling operative" ( that's what they are supposed to be called) is going to empty it?

4. hi2u_uk

hi2u_uk Member

To be honest i think this is a good business product. Ive seen lots of people on the street just lean over into someones garden and put their rubbish in someones wheelie bin. Also my local council seems to be very fussy about what they will or will not collect from bins so its a good idea to take notice of what goes in your wheelie bin otherwise the council will slap a penalty notice on the bin and refuse to empty it :(

5. hi2u_uk

hi2u_uk Member

i will unlock it the night before

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Have you actually had a polite conversation with your neighbour and asked why he is using your bin (realise you said that his has gone missing)

Don’t know if your on speaking terms and these days it’s not that unusual to have no contact with neighbours

Maybe you both have prior bad blood between you so a conversation ain’t gonna happen ?

But often, a civil but honest and direct discussion can nip these issues in the bud

So saying, one of my neighbours is a complete ‘ships anchor’ and we haven’t spoken a word for years - not since our last disagreement ! :eek:

7. Print this off and stick it to the underside of the lid.

The screams will tell you when the bin's been opened.

(What - me assume these arrisols are Leavers? Neffer...)

UE7UbZJB.jpg

8. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

You suggesting Miss Miller belongs in the bin.

9. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

I would :)

10. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I must be missing something here. Perhaps I'm just being slightly belligerent now, but why on earth haven't you dragged your bin over to their front door and dumped all their c.rap on their doorstep? If you own a cat or dog I'd also turn a blind eye if they were to keep depositing their bowels on your neighbours lawn, just as a kindly gesture.

Sparkielev likes this.
  11. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

It's 2018, everybody got to be kind to everybody these days in case you offend them in some way.

Give it until 2020 and people will be pi $$ed off with it and start standing up for themselves again. :D:D

12. Yes, bludy mamby-pambies.

This would be easily sorted by you emptying the contents of your bin on their doorstep (a crime) and leaving faeces on their lawn (ditto).

RULE BRITANNIA!

What is it about Leavers, eh?!

It is incredible - they are of a 'type'.

Nasty, cynical, aggressive, deluded.

13. She wouldn't let you.

I asked

Sparkielev likes this.
  14. hi2u_uk

hi2u_uk Member

i very rarely see them i.e. twice in the last 6 months and i dont see why i should go out of my way to bump into them e.g. run out the front door if i hear them starting up the car

15. hi2u_uk

hi2u_uk Member

its a house converted into flats so they are the downstairs flat. The doorstep is effectively my doorstep as well

16. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Hang on a minute, that's taken out of context a bit, I'm not saying to systematically abuse and bully the offending neighbour, just not to put up with being constantly taken advantage of and inconvenienced by their cheek and lack of thought for others. They'll soon stop doing it if THEIR rubbish was returned back to them, not the OP's rubbish. And the animal poo was half tongue in cheek, half serious, not that I should have to justify myself for a comment anyway. And it appears now that the OP lives in a flat so defeats that idea anyways.

Second point, what makes you think I'm a "leaver?", and off one comment that I'm "nasty, cynical, aggressive and deluded?"

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  17. Jord, I was replying to IIR.

I'm pretty sure your comments were largely tongue in whatsit :)

But, that is not the way to deal with a situation like this - it is not only crass, undignified and illegal, but will almost certainly be counter-productive too.

On a 'serious' note - since we are talking Brexit (bear with me...) I am pretty confident I can spot a rabid Leaver from approximately a mile away, and how folk would react in a situation like this would, to me, be a terrific indicator.

18. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

My apologies, but.....I interpreted the situation as the neighbours kept using the guys bin regardless, being arrogant enough to not care if the OP can't get their rubbish in their own bin, which to me is bullying albeit in a mental rather than physical capacity. My (quiet) assumption that the neighbour is a bottom feeder that will only understand actions not polite words still stands, but I'm not saying what I suggested is morally right either.

I'll opt out of the brexit debate thanks, read enough on here from all angles to make me want to stick pins in my eyes, but I will say that whilst judging a book by its cover may be sadly proved correct a lot of the time, it's not always, and that's the same ideology as "tarring everyone with the same brush," which is rabid bigotry (your words, previously :)) and narrow mindedness, both of which are traits you (and I) regularly deplore. Just because they wear tracksuit bottoms, baseball caps and sport Union Jack tattoos inside a British bulldog head, with a bit of roast beef hanging out of its mouth doesn't mean you should assume...............

Anyway, perhaps the OP should just purchase that hasp and staple after all........

19. Fair do's, Jord.

(PS - I am not tarring all with the same brush, by the way, but I am sure I'd make a fortune if I could bet on it :) )

20. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Strange reply and thought process but that’s clearly up to you

Just seems that’s your planning to ‘go out of your way’ by buying and fitting a lock to the bin in the first instance

Ok, so it’s flats and there’s no regular contact ..... get it

In this case, a note through their door then ? Agreed, may have no positive outcome

Nahhhh, buy a lock and fit it to bin, much much easier :)