Socket boxes in new build

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Neildwootton, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Neildwootton

Neildwootton New Member

Morning..

Assuming a new house using aircrete block inner leaf, with levelled walls such that direct fixing of plasterboard prior to skimming is possible, does one chase the block to the relevant depth for the metal box, minus the depth of the plasterboard +skim coat? Is there an indicator on. The outside of the box?

I should point out I'm not going to be doing this, I'm just interested in the process. I guess the same question would apply if the fixing method was dot and Dan or batten.

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Back box is typically 35mm, so if dot and dab then blocks would likely need to be chased out a bit. If batten/stud wall then ideally the back box would be attached to a noggin and depth of studwork would be more than enough to accommodate a back box.

3. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Oh no they are not still dotting and dabbing new builds surely? Beautiful thermalites or celcons run over with battens or blobs of glue and pb stuck/screwed on top?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  4. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Why would new builds have D&D, is it really cheaper than getting a spread in?

5. Neildwootton

Neildwootton New Member

They seem to be JP. I have a new build which is dot and dabbed. So would you go for direct fixing. I found Thor helical do a product for direct mechanical fix to aircrete blocks?

6. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Dunno Doc, I always thought new builds were nigh on always dot and dabbed? Myself have no dealings with dot and dab (apart from a very small area) and always go the set and skim route m8.

7. Neildwootton

Neildwootton New Member

And doctorbodgit, what does 'getting a spread in' mean?

8. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Hi Neil..thanks for your reply. With ref to fixings I cannot really give any advice, however you are in good hands with the other guys on the forum m8.

9. Neildwootton

Neildwootton New Member

Set and skim?

10. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Spread = plasterer :)

Set & skim = bonding/base then finish plaster/skim coat.

11. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

If you are so inclined you can do the setting yourself and let the plasterer do the skimming..that is unless you are lucky enough to have mastered the art of skimming then you can do the lot. Myself have tried many times to skim and have never been able to master it (ok in very small areas)..a good plasterer is not cheap, but they are worth there weight in gold.

12. Neildwootton

Neildwootton New Member

So in this new build scenario built with thin joint walls, on the solid block walls would you be fixing plasterboard mechanically and skimming, or doing something else? You'll have to treate like an. Idiot if you hadn't already guessed

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  13. Neildwootton

Neildwootton New Member

Ahhhh so 'setting' is 'fixing board to wall'? Is it...

14. Set is the topcoat i.e the skim.
    Render and set would be the term if the internal walls were getting rendered.
    They are both the same thing.

15. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Dot and Dab is quicker and cleaner. It's the way it's all gone.

a 25mm back box can be screwed directly the face of the block with most builders, they bring the board out level with their dabs. Other prefer it sunk back a little, say 10mm, as their dabs are thinner. You need to speak with the builder to work out which one they are, lol. 35mm boxes always need sinking a tad.

16. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

As Lectrician above. The tackers/plasterers I work with go to 25mm. So I recess a 35mm deep box by 10mm.
    Use 35mm as opposed to 25mm boxes. Easier wiring at switches and sockets, and you can use dimmers and flat-plate accessories if you want.

17. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Haha, sorry I have to laugh at the precise measurements being stated for sinking back boxes on to a wall. You would be lucky to sink a back box exactly 10mm in to a wall! :D

18. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I would add that plasterers will always blame the sparky if the back box is protruding after they have boarded it over. I have never yet seen a plasterer return to a job to 'correct' protruding back boxes (even 25mm ones screwed directly to the face of the blocks). Its always us that have to make good shoddy plaster boarding.

19. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Some of the plasterers I come across go straight over boxes filling boxes in bal ache chopping plaster out

20. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

They all do it, lev, its par for the course. If you find one that does clean out back boxes have him on board for life!