Howdens pan drawer and worktop

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Lori23, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Lori23

Lori23 Member

I have recently had a Howdens kitchen fitted with a 600mm pan drawer. I was looking to add side panels but have realised there are no side support rails to attach them to, should the support panels have already been fitted?
    The edge of the worktop is also not very good as there are gaps all along it. I have added photos.
    Any advice is very welcome,thank you.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

You need to get your fitter back to begin with.

There are usually additional 'rails' along the sides of the deeper drawers to brace the drawer fronts and prevent items falling out.

If the worktop was damaged/faulty etc, then the fitter shouldn't have fitted it and Howdens should have been contacted to ask about a replacement.

3. Lori23

Lori23 Member

Hi the fitter took the work top side strip off to curve the corner and then put it back on but it doesn't look right.

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

What type of tops were installed?

Not sure exactly what you mean by that, or why the fitter would do that?!

If they've messed the top up, then Howdens aren't responsible.

Have you got any better photos...that show the that particular run of top in context with the units?

5. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

Yes the side rails are missing. Also that edging stripwhich you say the fitter took off prior to cutting a corner curve has been replaced very badly and it looks as if there has been a poor attemptat filling some of the gaps with Colorfill. You definitely need to get him back. If he had to cut a curved corner then he should have cut in a new edging strip on the corner only but even that would show a vertical join. Can see why he took the strip completely off to avoid that but it's certainly not been replaced satisfactorily and once water gets in those gaps...

6. Lori23

Lori23 Member

7. Lori23

Lori23 Member

Are these better, the worktops are Howdens rustic grey oak laminate.

Attached Files:

8. Lori23

Lori23 Member

9. Lori23

Lori23 Member

Thank you for your reply, yes the edges have had filler put on but it just comes off. What would need to be done to fix the worktop edges?

10. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Quote "What would need to be done to fix the worktop edges?"

A professional kitchen fitter would not have left it like that!

Get him back SAP. Tell him your not happy & don't pay him till you are.

11. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Where in the kitchen is the close up photo of the top with bits of filler? Not near the curve as it has support panel between two doors?

Did he remove all the worktops edging ? Like from all of the worktop? Seems a strange thing to do. Would usually splice in a new bit on the curved edge area only.

ramseyman, KIAB and CGN like this.
  12. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

As metro has said, that's why I was a tad confused initially. When I do curved ends, there is two settings on the jig. One which cuts it flush to existing edging, 2nd goes a tad deeper to allow for thickness of edging so it then becomes flush with existing. Bizarre.

New tops really!

kitfit1 likes this.
  13. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Pan drawers should have a side rail to stop items falling out of the drawer. Theses also help to support the front of the drawer. ( have a look if your kitchen fitter has left any assembly instructions and has any “ parts” left over. Worktop is a complete bodge job. Looks like he’s taken the edging off with a bloody axe.

Edit, just had a look on Howdens website and they can supply extra deep sides for pan drawers as an extra :eek::eek: ( should bloody well come as standard)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    ramseyman likes this.
  14. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

As CGN has said, the only way to solve the worktop issue is to completely replace them. The worktops you have come PVC edged and factory finished. The reason that you never remove and then re-fit them is because you will get water ingress. You already have water ingress into the worktop core because you can clearly see in your pics that the worktop has expanded, the worktop surface is above the top of the PVC edging. Totally unacceptable standard of workmanship, the worktops need to be replaced there is no repair that can be done to them in my view.
    As for the draws, the draw front that is fitted is not a draw front. It has hinge holes that should not be there and the pre-sunk holes for the side rails are not there which would explain why the fitter didn't fit them, he also didn't fit the plastic cover plates over the draw adjusters.
    Clearly your fitter knows very little about kitchens, if he did he should have got onto Howdens and ordered up a draw front.

15. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Workmanship is amateurish and that is giving amateurs a bad name.

I have those pan draws and can confirm the rails and cover plates are missing.

I presume he supplied the kitchen via his account? Then he is responsible for everything. Get him back, ask him to leave his guide dog outside and get him to put it all right, else you'll get someone else to do it and bill him for the work.

I would be embarassed to leave a job like that

16. Lori23

Lori23 Member

17. Lori23

Lori23 Member

Hi
    The worktop supplied was to long and the fitter cut it down so had to do the corner. ​

Attached Files:

18. Lori23

Lori23 Member

The worktop supplied was too long so the fitter cut it and had to do the corner.

Attached Files:

19. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

They usually come too long so you can trim to length. He didn't know how to do the radius!

In this scenario, I would have cut my masons mitre and git that correct before doing the radius the other end

20. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Do you know if he used a curved jig for doing the radius or one of the shelves in the curved cupboard?

I'm guessing he's cut the edge off, done the radius and hoped then he could glue the edge back on and get away without coughing up for the jig.