Howdens pan drawer and worktop

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Lori23, Jan 25, 2018.

1. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

OK, my tuppence worth. I'm fairly sure I've fitted large pan draws (howdens) before and had to fit blanking plugs (to cover the hinge holes) at the bottom.Could that be the case so our fitter was unable to fit the retaining end of the stabilising bar because he's fitted the drawer fronts up side down.
    I've not had to do it yet, but curvatures on the worktop means re-facing the front edge, Howdens supply a 3m length if it's 'square edge' worktop, the displays I've seen in their showrooms show a section cut in just beyond the curve, looks rubbish and in every example I've seen it's starting to peel.
    The square edge plastic edging stipulates you can only use 'solvent free' impact adhesive, in my opinion, solvent free impact adhesive is only marginally more effective than 'gobbing' on the surface before pushing on. I'd be dubious about taking one on these days to be honest, not worth the agg.

2. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Because if past experience of Howdens has anything to go by, unless you actually ordered that 3m of edging in the first place...............you don't get it...............it won't come with the worktop as standard.
    Looking at the pics and trying to add the cabs up.................3m of edging may well not have been enough anyway.

3. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Same kitchen. Layout changed a bit. **** knows what has happened to the tops. Beyond normal comprehension. Can not see the fitter removing all the worktop edging and re fitting so there were no joins. Top run is over 3M anyway
    Perhaps they were fitted back to front by mistake

4. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Eh..................lol................my kind of thought:D Unless you can smell what your glueing....................ya just know it's going to all of in mins lol

5. Jimmycloutnail

Jimmycloutnail Screwfix Select

Just zoomed in on the pics and can see that he's used the same edging it way thicker soz, how do these clowns get any work!!!

6. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Because they is clowns And the punters that want to to use use them is expecting perfection until they realise they are paying clown money and expecting perfection................................it don't work like that and never has done and never will.

7. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

I can't zoom in so can't get the fine detail, but my understanding is that you take off the front edge (router or track saw), do the curve and put a whole new edge on, I've never done it but would be interested to hear from someone who has.

8. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

to be fair to the op the fitter was employed by the builder she may of paid top price we don't know, this is shocking work and she needs to get tops replaced at builders expense

9. Lori23

Lori23 Member

10. Lori23

Lori23 Member

Your right it is the same kitchen

11. Lori23

Lori23 Member

Yes it is the same kitchen after the fitter cut the panels down and replaced the long plinth after I insisted that it should have been done originally.

12. Lori23

Lori23 Member

It is the same kitchen after I insisted the fitter cut the panels down and replaced the long plinth.

13. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Regardless everyone, OP is not happy :(

'Fitter' not fit to 'fit' or out of their depth. Shame.

14. Lori23

Lori23 Member

Thank you I will contact Howdens about the drawer and the worktop as I presumed the builder and the fitter where good tradesmen as Howdens know them.

15. Lori23

Lori23 Member

I am expecting a good standard of workmanship because that is what I paid for nothing more or less. Thank you

16. Lori23

Lori23 Member

I paid good money and expect a good job kitfit1

17. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Hold on there. Your contract is with the builder so take it up with them. If you paid the builder for materials on his howdens trade account then they are also his responsibility

My view is that you now need to lodge a formal dispute with the builder with a view to claiming the cost of rectifying that work. Its easier than you think!

18. Lori23

Lori23 Member

I just wanted to contact Howdens to make sure the support rails are supplied with the pan drawer and to ask if the worktop edge is attached in Howdens work shop and yes the rails come with the drawer and yes the worktop comes with the edge strip already fitted from their work shop.
    I have contacted the fitter several times but he is working away at the moment.

19. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

You need to put the issues in writing requesting a response within 14 days asking how they intend to resolve the issues. Send it to the builder, the person who invoiced you and not the fitter himself. If you do not get a satisfactory response in 14 days we can help with next steps. Put everything in writing and keep copies and send signed for so you have concrete evidence trail.

20. Lori23

Lori23 Member