Stud wall question

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Hammer of the Gods, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Hammer of the Gods

Hammer of the Gods New Member

Hello again folks.

Right, so 2nd wall now has the stud wall and insulation in place. Next step is to put the DPM up. Do I just attach it to the studs with staples and then cover with the plasterboard?

[​IMG]

And to give you all a laugh, here's the first wall I attempted. The one with all the gaps. Got quite a Frankenstein look to it I think.

[​IMG]

2. Jimmycloutnail

Jimmycloutnail Screwfix Select

I've seen some stuff but this is the most interesting bit of boarding I've ever seen:eek:

Also your stud frame looks pretty weak don't hang anything substantial off it, y didn't you listen to the advice you had on here?

Astramax and Jord86 like this.
  3. Were they all the offcuts from a skip?

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Needs ripping out and doing again in my humble opinion. Paying a carpenter for a day would be a good idea, but I get the feeling it won't happen.

5. Jimmycloutnail

Jimmycloutnail Screwfix Select

Paying a Chippy be cheaper than Buying 50 rolls of scrim needed for that wall :D

DIYDave. and KIAB like this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Those pictures been photoshopped,it's not really that bad...:eek:

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Do you like doing jigsaws by any chance Mr Hammer ? ;)

Really don’t get it with the plaster board ....... how / why / what / surely that isn’t actually the wall in question but a picture of the Internet from ‘diy disasters’

Must have take ages to fit all those small pieces and as above, looks like skinny stud work and lack of noggins so won’t be strong. Usually using full sheets of PB (trimmed as needed) also gives strength to the wall but with that jigsaw design, no added strength from PB and no fixings on the horizontal joins (nothing to screw into)

And what finish are you planning on out of interest ?

If your getting a plasterer in to skim I would love to be a fly on the wall when that conversation takes place :D

If your planning on filling the gaps as you said on earlier reply and that’s the finish, it won’t last long. Garage = damp cold air will destroy plaster board

Best option = rip off PB, add noggins, use full sheets PB and cut to size

Leave in place and overboard with ply / osb. Full size sheets and not jigsaw size pieces

Leave as is, enjoy for a while then watch your wall slowly self destruct

I’m only diy and don’t mean to extract the urine but I recon it’s a no goer at this stage so cut your looses and start again - sorry

8. Hammer of the Gods

I told you it'd give you a laugh! The jigsaw wall was indeed done with off cut bits of plasterboard, and done before I knew how to cut it properly. Plus the timbers I used for the studs on that wall weren't all the same thickness, which admittedly doesn't help! I do have insulation behind the plasterboard on there, and there are noggins on the stud frame, so though it's ugly as sin, it seems strong enough and I figured it should hold. No? Finish wise on that wall, I'm planning on filling in the gaps with expanding foam and then just covering the whole abomination with wall rugs!

With the other wall, I guess it wouldn't be too hard to add noggins to the frame. I didn't figure I needed them as the plasterboard sheets are going on vertically rather than horizontally. I didn't know the noggins added extra strength. Like I said, I'm learning as I go!

9. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

The timber being different sizes is immaterial, you just keep the room side flush. I just don't understand how your wall ended up in that mess, as several of us told you how to do it properly, plus you said you'd watched videos on YouTube on building stud walls, as far as I know there's not a video that shows you to do it the way you did, unless Stevie Wonder's your teacher. You should have fitted breathable membrane/building paper to the concrete block side of the studs, which it doesn't look like you have, and cover the other side with a vapour barrier before plasterboarding, NOT a DPM. If your first wall doesn't have any of these, you may be re-doing it in a couple of years anyway.

10. Hammer of the Gods

That ugly wall was done before I started posting on here dude.

11. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I'm not disputing you, just saying that you may have damp and mould problems later down the line.

12. Hammer of the Gods

Even with the insulation behind the jigsaw plasterboard?

13. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Yes .... in a nut shell

Even with insulating the void, the air between outside wall and er, jigsaw wall will be cold. Also the brick wall will be cold on both sides

Warmer air from inside the room will carry moisture, this air can and will travel through the plaster board wall and hit a colder surface, even traveling through the insulation - more so the fibre stuff uv used. Most builds now use solid, foil backed insulation - Kingspan being one common brand

The breathable membrane allows any moisture that does get in to continue its journey to the great outdoors whilst the vapour barrier will stop moisture entering in the first place

Not a problem with an internal wall but external brick cold wall can give problems without controls in place

14. Hammer of the Gods

Cheers for the info. Only thing is I didn't use the fibre stuff you can see in the first photo on the jigsaw wall. I used that Rockwool stuff, if that makes any kind of difference?

15. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Well that’s the kinda stuff I meant when I said ‘Fibre stuff’ , rock wool, glass fibre, itchy and scratchy, it’s permable so will let vapour through it and vapour wil even condense on and in it if cold enough, so gets damp, limited air flow, mould

Whereas solid foam type insulation with foil backing will stop this, it’s widely used in buildings now more so than the above types. Look at Kingspan and Celotex to name 2

Easy to work with, friction fit between studs, easy to cut, any wood saw or even a serrated bread knife will do..... yes really, and doesn’t cause the skin irrattation the above woolly stuff can

Look I’m only diy, just like you so I’m gonna back down now as may be causing concern when it’s not actually validated. The pros advice will be more substantiated for sure

16. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Awesome work! Not! Lol

17. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Plasterboard isn't that expensive you have to redo that wall show some pride in your work and redo it :)

18. Hammer of the Gods

Feels like I've geuinely offended a few folks with my jigsaw wall! :D

19. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

You should take your big hammer and set about that wall with it

20. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I think he already did by the look of it! :p