Door fitting - advice needed

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Sally76, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Sally76

Sally76 New Member

Had a new front door installed into poured concrete building. Huge gap was left down the side of the wall between the frame and the rest of the concrete wall itself. The builders filled it with some expandable goo that apparently sets 'rock hard', although the evidence we've found around the door feels more like polystyrene.

Queried this with the door fitters and asked if this meant that the security wouldn't be that great given this. They just said it was as secure as you could get and sets 'rock hard'. Door and fitting wasn't cheap and I'm worried I'm left my premises more unsafe than it was prior to fitting the 'security' door?

Is this standard practice? Any help appreciated as they also left my house in a right mess and caused loads of damage. They are asking for payment and I'm wondering if I should get another company out to look at it first?

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Can you post some photos? Was the door ordered to fit the hole? Who is responsible for the hole size and door to go in it? Sounds like a bodge but could do with some clarity.

3. Sally76

Sally76 New Member

4. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

As the good doctor says there are some questions about what was actually ordered as that door is too small and not fit for its intended purpose. Do you have any records of the order, what was specified and who did the measuring?

5. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

That's way too big a gap. What I don't understand is how the door size was determined/selected and who has responsibility for that? Is it a standard sized (cheapish) door, so this is the closest size available, or was the door ordered made-to-measure to fit in that sized hole?

If the former then you may have to live with it, depends what was requested and agreed between you and the installers. Do you have a written quote for this work?

Deleted member 164349 likes this.
  6. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Damn you fast Willy :p

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Surely this is a classic measurement error, do not pay.

8. WillyEckerslike

Yeah. Mrs Eckerslike has been known to complain about that as well..........

gadget man likes this.
  9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yeah I know :D:p

10. WillyEckerslike

"That was quick" isn't always a compliment nowadays!

11. Sally76

Sally76 New Member

Thanks both. No written quote. I have an invoice though. The guy came round looked at it and said it was a standard size, he didn't use a tape measure etc.

It cost me about £1000 including the VAT - is that the sort of price you'd pay for this type of thing? Or have I been had?

I suppose my question is, is it going to be strong and secure enough?

12. Sally76

Sally76 New Member

The invoice just said to supply and fit 1 x composite door.

I had an older wooden door there in a wooden frame. They chiselled out the old wooden door frame (knocking down quite a bit of the concrete wall in the process)

I paid for half of the door before fitting and have negotiated a £100 discount for the damage to my property but I'm still worried about the security aspect.

13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I would not accept that door it is obviously too small to be considered an acceptable fit.

14. WillyEckerslike

At the moment we can only see pictures of the unsecured frame which doesn't help us a) assess the quality of the door and therefore the vfm and b) what fixings have been used to fix the frame into the aperture so we cannot advise if it's likely to be secure or not. I also think the invoice uses the term 'fit' somewhat loosely - pun slightly intended.
    If it helps.....? Expanding foam is very sticky and if they have used some decent fixings into the wall the door will probably be quite secure. Not excusing shoddy work, simply putting your mind at rest whilst the company arrange a made to measure door that fits properly.......

15. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

We need photos of the whole thing, not just one side. The only possibility it could be to be legitimate is that the surroundings are to be dot and dabbed or rendered later, if the frame fit tight then it would be buried within the plaster, that's the only reason I can think of, and even if that is the case they should have used add on strips, not left gaps like that.

Deleted member 164349 likes this.
  16. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Do not pay anything more. Write to the company rejecting the work carried out as not of quality. The frame should have 5mm gap. Frame is tied into masonry and supported by packers. Expanding foam is the last element that holds it a bit tighter.

If they do not replace the door with one of the correct size then you'll have a good case to recover monies in small claims

Shocking work. Clearly wrong size

17. Sally76

Sally76 New Member

18. What timescales have been involved?

I think you need to advise them in writing of their failures, and the need to correct it within a fair timescale, like 14 days.

19. Sally76

Sally76 New Member

I emailed them on the day and sent photos etc. But they just told me it was standard procedure etc. I've been arguing with them since the first week in January about a small discount for repairs to my home. Plastic door ledge/sil was floating in mid air outside, so I bought concrete and made good, had to repair wood flooring where it had been scratched and split, damage to my walls etc... I could go on.

It's taken them weeks at a time to reply to my emails and agree final discount £100. My concern was that I bought something not fit for purpose?

20. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Hmm, it's possible that you have two different depths of wall thickness either side of the frame and they've taken their measurements off the smallest width of the opening, which would be the correct thing to do. However, what does look like more than meets the eye is the six inch capping board used on the hinge side of the frame, the frame margins are unequal which catches the eye immediately, and if they had plenty of space the closing side they should have moved the frame over to centralize more.

On the plus point with the frame fixings and expanding foam they used you have no issue of security, but I would phone a local upvc fitter and ask for a second opinion, explain your situation and see how much they may or may not charge you to give their professional opinion. Out of interest where are you based?