Equality

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by facilities, Feb 7, 2018.

1. facilities

facilities Guest

While I’m having a rant this suffragette thing that’s in the news, I guess it’s all about women getting the vote and on a wider scale same recognition and advantages that men have enjoyed over the years, however the sisterhood are up in arms about them now enjoying the same retirement age as men, well ladies you can’t have it both ways.

(Blue touch paper lit)

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Much of it I agree with, its the identity politics that really gets my goat. Ignore the gender/sex part of it and just treat all individuals fairly.

Was reading this article on the BBC about equal pay claim for women (in stores) and men (in warehouses). http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42968342

Its about equal pay for doing an equal job, the gender of the people involved is irrelevant. And are you telling me there are no men working in the stores and no women working in the warehouses?

3. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

All because some chap took our government to court years ago saying it was unfair that he had to work till he was 65, whilst his wife could retire at 60. The government at the time, did the only fair and equitable thing........ put retirement age for women up.

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  4. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

If anything, retirement age for women should higher than for men as, on average, they live longer. ;)

Jord86, facilities and KIAB like this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

6. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

That's the story I linked to KIAB, come one, get with the program!!!

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

facilities likes this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

No link showing here, pc is playing up.

9. joinerjohn1

Could it be that the warehouse workers are driving flt’s and the store workers operate tills ? Who determines what work is of equal value?
    One could argue that their job is of equal value to that of their MP. What qualifications does an MP actually need , compared to say a GasSafe registered plumber?

facilities likes this.
  10. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

This is the nub of it, two different "roles", what is "fair" pay for each, and are those rates the same? I would be more concerned about people doing the in store job all being paid the same irrespective of gender, have no idea if that's the case.

11. joinerjohn1

That’s why I asked who determines what “ work of equal value” actually is?

12. facilities

facilities Guest

Could that be the missing link :confused:

13. facilities

facilities Guest

Anyway over the years to help with the family budget my mrs who was on lower pay than myself kept chickens, it was her way of making hens meet :p

Rulland and malkie129 like this.
  14. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Listening to various reports it seems that they are saying women are paid less - however, male checkout/store staff are being paid the same as female doing that role and any female in the distribution centre is being paid the same as a male there. Where is te sex-discrimination in that? Tesco are saying they evaluated te roles and pay appropriately - again what is the issue?

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  15. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Exactly MrP! The issue is this so called gender pay gap as more women work in store than in the warehouse, so on average, women are paid less than men for doing "the same" job. Its complete nonsense. There is no inequity at the level of the individual, only at the group level, which is the identity politics kicking in.

16. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

If anyone has the time...Jordan Peterson has excellent data on this...which he displayed to the idiotic very mediocre Kathy Newman in his Ch4 interview with her.
    Where he tore her a new one...as did Milo with her.
    Equal pay and rights for everyone obviously.
    But, my wife...who is very capable and independent.... acts like and looks like a Lady........likes to be treated as a Lady, ....doors opened, flowers, chocs, language modified in her company etc..and I do not see a problem with this.
    Rs

longboat, KIAB and Dr Bodgit like this.

17. She likes to be treated as the individual she is?

18. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

I suppose that covers it.
    RS

19. Which is exactly what equality is and should be, for everybody

20. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

The main issue I have is with the definition of "equality" how it is measured.

To me its about equality of opportunity for the individual

But these days with the radical, neo-Marxist post-modernist left especially, its about equality of outcome at the group level.

retiredsparks and longboat like this.