Multi tool blades

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Gasz, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Gasz

Gasz New Member

Can anyone suggest a good brand/value for money ?

2. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

Have you tried https://www.saxtonblades.co.uk/
    Always used to order from them online until I realised they were 15mins down the road.
    They have a good selection of blades at good prices

Gasz and KIAB like this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:rolleyes:

Can't fault Saxton Blades, have used them for some years, & always great service from company.

Gasz likes this.
  4. Cecilb70

Cecilb70 Active Member

I'm gonna express a different philosophy on this. Buy best quality blades properly specced for the job. Preferably starlock. Usually £10 a blade. Sometimes you can get them cheaper( Bosch or Fein) snap em up. These make a multitool work as they should do. Sure have some cheap disposables but try say a coarse Japanese blade in softwood you'll never look back!
    Jb

WillyEckerslike and Gasz like this.
  5. Gasz

Gasz New Member

cheers, I’ll try them it’s the bi- metal ones that I’m after - I guess you have to try them to know.

6. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

I’ve tried the expensive blades and found they don’t last any longer than the ones I buy from saxtonblades although I only buy the bimetal blades and use them in both my worx and cordless makita multitool. The advantage of the bimetal is you don’t have to worry bout what you hit

7. Gasz

Gasz New Member

I agree. Bought a ‘smart’ purple one for 8 quid - no difference.

8. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Bought a bosch one from our hosts around£14 it lasted a week hardly used it total sh@$te

9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Agree with above, branded or cheapo, all seem around the same

Every now and again, Aldi do a mixed blister pack of blades, Work Zone, which I guess is their own brand. Think was maybe 6 blades, sanding sheets and pad for less than a tenner. Ok, they’re not the quick release type so take a few more seconds fitting/removing but they honestly cut well

Can’t remember much about the sanding sheets as hardly ever use this as a detail sander

If your ever in Aldi and you see these blades, suggest you buy a pack to try out, you will be pleasantly surprised :)

10. Cecilb70

Cecilb70 Active Member

It depends on how you use them. Its a bit like buying a handsaw. If your gonna use it to saw everything ( old wood plasterboard etc) you will hit a nail a ruin it. Buy a cheap saw throw it away. If your gonna be sawing clean wood with no nails I reach for my vintage disston d8. Different class.
    Multi tools are good for that ruff work but they can also do some amazing things with the proper blades and accessories. I would also say battery multitools are inferior generally.

11. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

I’d have to disagree about your comment on battery multitools as I have both corded and cordless and can honestly say I don’t see any difference, I guess it’s just personal preference. As to using a disston to cut would that’s fine in the workshop but I’d never take my disston on site, S&J predator saws from b&q will do just fine, it’s a bit like taking Stanley seeetheart chisels on site they wouldn’t last 5minutes but I do agree you can do amazing things with multitools especially with a blade quarter of the price of some big name brands

12. Cecilb70

Cecilb70 Active Member

I suspect I'm giving an answer that nobody wants to hear. If that's the case then don't buy a starlock tool as cheap blades aren't widely available btw.

13. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

I think the problem is if your not careful they become a very expensive consumable

14. Cecilb70

Cecilb70 Active Member

Look on eBay 5 quality Bosch mixed blades say £30 if you buy 3 minus 20% 90-18=£72 divide by 15=£4.80 per blade versus £2.99 per blade no name brand. I'm absolutely certain given sensible use the Bosch will last at least twice as long.

15. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

Afraid we’ll have to agree to disagree on the lasting twice as long as personally ive never found that to be the case and so can’t justify spending extra unnecessarily when I buy 50 at a time

KIAB likes this.
  16. Cecilb70

Cecilb70 Active Member

Wow 50 at a time what supplier do you use? I use them as a get out tool really when little else will do what do you do with them. I probably get through 1 every fortnight or so in Fein 350.

17. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

I get them from saxtonblades, best prices come in bulk purchases and there’s nothing worse than needing a new blade and not having one then having to pay over the odds for a single blade, on one oak floor I did customer didn’t want skirting removed or quadrant used, so using offcut of flooring and multitool i cut the bottom of skirting to accept flooring downside was i used bout 10 blades to do whole lounge/diner (nearly 45 linear metres) and bimetal last longer when hitting brick as well as metal

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I use a multitool, or buzzy saw as we've ended up calling them to differentiate them from Leatherman's and Gerber's, a lot in both corded and corded versions and Saxton are as good as branded blades and 18V cordless are as powerful as corded
    For a handsaw I use an Irwin hardpoint which gets replaced about once a year and I keep the old one to use where it may hit metal and the one before that for when it will hit metal.
    My re-sharpenable saw got retired about 15 years ago as even straight from the saw doctor it wasn't as good as a hardpoint.

Paulie1412 and WillyEckerslike like this.
  19. Cecilb70

Cecilb70 Active Member

Having sharpened and set handsaws for twenty years hard point saws don't have enough set. They are in a perpetual state of binding. As well as being to short. And not working on a rip cut. Yes ok as a disposable object but incomparable for real sawing . I also use hardpoints on site btw.
    Perhaps my prejudices with my buzz come from accidentally buying a starlock Fein 18months ago and cursing the fact I couldn't use my stock of cheap blades. Buying better quality blades was forced on me but I now think they are better full stop. I've still sourced some disposables but if i know I'm cutting wood with little chance of metal =quality blade. If I was cutting Paulie's living room I would use my corded Fein and a 30 mm Japanese pattern blade. Usually the bottoms of skirtings are thinner because they have a dual moulding so I would class that as little chance of nail contact and would use a good blade sawing at 25-30 degrees to the wall. With my saw and a good blade I reckon it would saw as fast as I can shuffle and use maybe 4-5 blades. Change the scenario slightly what if it was white oak and you had to do the same job. I suggest with an 18v saw and cheap blades that job would be all but impossible. ​

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  20. Cecilb70

Cecilb70 Active Member

What I would actually do with a white oak skirting is pack my biscuit joiner to the right height and partially cut the skirting and finish with the buzz saw.

WillyEckerslike likes this.