Multi tool blades

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Gasz, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

I’d have to recommend trying it before passing judgement I think you’d be pleasantly surprised
    I used to think the same until having a play with some of the cordless stuff in a local shop

2. Cecilb70

Cecilb70 Active Member

I do need to buy a multi tool as I've got accessories that won't fit my starlock ( profile Sanders etc) and loads of cheap blades. May as well get a cordless my kit is all Makita 18v so I'm a bit stuck on that one. I've heard worx get good reviews though.
    Howdens we're giving Milwaukee ones away about 2years ago but I missed the boat.

3. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

Makita have 2 cordless versions one quick release, the others Allen key both feel the same to use, I got the quick release as I’m always loosing allen keys in the van.As for the worx I had the sonicrafter which I’d never had a problem with broke one last year but had been using it regularly for last bout last 10 years so
    The Milwaukee howdens had on offer free with new accounts was only 12v and come with a single 1.5ah battery which lacked any guts

4. Cecilb70

Cecilb70 Active Member

Ive never used an Allen keyed multi in anger but the Fein 250 my previous multi had a lethal snap on the quick change definitely a finger biter!
    Once your committed to a battery brand that's it your married mate. And divorces can be very costly! I've got an old DeWalt 18v second fix though it always needs charging.

Jord86 and Paulie1412 like this.
  5. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I'm married to Milwaukee. The 12v 'buzzy' (thanks Chippie) isn't a patch on my Fein 350 but for some tasks it's done the job before I've uncoiled the lead otherwise. They each have their place.

6. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Saxton or MultiToolWorld blades are great value. Picked of Smart from TS recently 9 blades for £18. Seem good and last reasonably. Manufacturers blades last no longer in my opinion. When Fein first launched the Multimaster the blades were ludicrously expensive. Like £15 a blade. Crazy

7. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

For me also there is no difference in performance between corded and cordless multitools these days.

8. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I got through a multitool balde cutting joists, it was burning badly. Realised I was pushing too hard, now got an Erbauer one from SF, let the blade do the work, much better. Generally use Saxton blades.

9. DufferDIY

DufferDIY Member

For what it's worth, I'd echo Saxton. I've been playing with their heavy metal blades to cut steel. Time and cutting oil and the job is done while the blades lasted longer than I was expecting.

Just bought a handful of bi and Japanese blades to tackle some pine shortly from TopsTools on Fleabay. Time will tell if they're any good, but the prices were reasonable at about £3 each.

10. mrppp

mrppp Active Member