What tool for DIYer cutting loft boarding?

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Marcos Scriven, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Marcos Scriven

Marcos Scriven New Member

I've ordered 15 T&G boards to cover part of the loft - wondering what's the best tool to cut them to length?

Would a cheap jigsaw be better than a mini circular saw? Basically I'd like something that would be handy more than once, and I don't see myself cutting a lot of wood!

Would a multi cutter do 15 boards at a stretch, as that looks like something that would be more handy to have as an occasional DIYer.

2. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

CGN and Marcos Scriven like this.
  3. Marcos Scriven

Marcos Scriven New Member

I ought to have mentioned - I do envisage putting up shelves, and cutting out a cat flap hole from a uPVC panel.

How long would a person of average DIY skill take to saw 60cm of 22mm chip board?

4. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

using an ordinary handsaw.... even for a newbie to DIY, less than 90 seconds.
    For someone experienced, 25-30 seconds.

Just buy a cheap handsaw as previously suggested!
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/irwin-jack-universal-saw-22/32045

Regards,
    Cando

CGN and Marcos Scriven like this.
  5. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Hand saw or jig saw with orbital action.

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The problem with power tools (and hand tools) is to use them safely you need to be able to support the work piece and also hold a straight edge in place to cut along.

The German outlets (Aldi, Lidl) have reasonable beginers tools, plus clamps etc. Quite cheaply. Remember to wear safety glasses and with fibre boards a face mask.

So your choice is £7 for a reasonable hand saw or about £75 for a powered version and accesories

7. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

15 boards? 15? a hand saw!

CGN likes this.
  8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Doubt he has to cut them all ...??

9. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

It's a funny thing that peeps only think about power tools. Hand tools still do the business! I have a few wooden planes I very occasionally use for profiles. The oldest one I have was made between 1785 and 1788 and after a bit of fettling still cuts a decent ogee. I have a few hollows and rounds which are handy!

I also have 3-4 various metal planes dated from pre-1940 and still just as good as new to use.

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Must admit, very rarely use hand tools these days, even had to hunt for an old fashioned manual screwdriver recently :oops:

11. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Must admit I am the same with screwdrivers,except for minor adjustments to items. My little 10.8 drill driver is so handy & usually the 1st tool that I reach for. :rolleyes:

12. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

i can feel the blister coming up from using manual screwdrivers jos my hands have gone soft ??

13. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

A good sharp hand saw will fly through most types of timber and track saw aside, is prob the most accurate.

WillyEckerslike and chippie244 like this.