Why silcone on OUTSIDE of shower cubilcle?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by yorkyguy, Feb 12, 2018.

1. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

Pretty obvious really! All manufacturers seem to insist that silicone is applied to the outside of the cubicle. As a bit of a traditionalist, I would have thought it best that water ingress/outgress (is there such a word?) is best prevented from the source of the potential leak i.e. inside the cubicle. The practice of applying silicone to the outside will only trap water inside the frame and other fittings allowing it to remain there doing damage as is cannot dry out easily. Any thoughts on this? Cheers

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

There is usually a drainage point so that any water that gets through the inside seal drains back inside rather than outside, uPvc windows work the same way.

blarblarblarblar likes this.
  3. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

Not this latest case. Its a Victoria Plum cubicle 'frameless' version - very minimalist - with no drainage points on a 25mm tray!. The tiles are hand made metros so have an irregular surface - moisture will simply pour into the frame! mmmm?:confused:

4. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Only seal on outside, not just water ingress but a build up of condensation inside the frame to drain out, obviously it's better for any water to drain back inside the shower.

Stan Lee Blade likes this.
  5. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Drainage point? No, can't say I've ever observed such a thing on a shower cubicle.
    The outside is sealed because that's where you don't want the water to get to, and, the sealant stays dry which prevents mold growth and other scum accumulating.

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It's a while since I've fitted a shower

7. HarDeBloodyHarHar

HarDeBloodyHarHar Active Member

Quite the opposite probably. As the sealant may get wet on the inside, and not get exposed to drier air.

8. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

It's curtains for you.

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

What's the emoticon for groan?

10. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

11. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

Fitted 100's of different shower enclosures.The instructions (if supplied) always say seal exterior only but in practice covertly sealing all internal possible water ingress areas with clear silicone has resulted in a 100% leak free record.
    Wall channel to shower tray needs special attention,squirt extra silicone and push it in firmly.use best quality silicone not 99p stuff.
    Tt

Jord86 likes this.
  12. Even longer since you've 'ad one.

Brrrr-cheeesh.

13. Hi Yorkie.

I had the exact same Q when I fitted my last shower cubicle - it didn't make sense to me.

Can't remember where I got the answer from - perhaps it was on here - but if you seal on the inside and there's any breach in that seal anywhere up the panel, then the water wot get's past that wee breach will then find itself trapped on the outside of your seal as it makes its way downwards and can't make its way back inside. It will then end up on t'floor.

It was an "AaaAAAAAaaaah!" moment for me.

I hope it is for you too.

(And then I sealed both sides as I always do...)