Cannot Find Brushed Steel 45 Amp Cooker Control Unit - Vertical?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by cagey1two3, Feb 13, 2018.

1. cagey1two3

cagey1two3 New Member

Hi all, hope everyone is well.
    [​IMG]
    I'm looking for a replacement cooker control Unit similar to the one in the picture. I am after a brushed steel or satin one, but I cannot find one anywhere with these vertical dimensions. The tiles behind the socket have already been cut to fit this shape by a not so competent fitter, so would be much easier to replace the control unit with one that matches the back box. I have looked pretty much everywhere I can think of and can only find standard horizontal control units.
    Any links to a brushed steel/satin vertical one would be much appreciated.
    Cheers

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Should've put it in a cupboard.

3. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

4. cagey1two3

cagey1two3 New Member

Cheers Dr Bodgit, It wasn't in my kitchen. A friend had a tile fitter in and what a crappy job he did. If it wasn't for him tiling around the back box, I would of fitted a standard side by side one.
    Thanks for the response though.

Seems the vertical ones with sockets do not exist.

5. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Just had a look myself and there are plenty as per Doc's post, but no vertical metal with socket outlet incorporated. Wonder why that is?

6. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Why is a socket needed?

7. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Historic reasons probably ... and now possibly becasue there is space there. I prefer the standard size ones though - without socket.

8. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Some people design them in Doc, and in a very small kitchen they could be useful (you know toaster/kettle etc)..myself only use the SG 45 amp type with neon tbqh. I note with interest some people say they are not required, myself am not so sure, but hey ho there is a vast chasm between pro sparks and diyer's, and of course Lee Sparky from Kent..;)

9. cagey1two3

cagey1two3 New Member

I've spent the last 3 days searching every corner of the internet and they don't exist in brushed steel, surely it cant be anything to do with wiring safety as they exist

@ Dr Bodgit, some of the appliances are in that corner of the kitchen and use that available socket. I would have to fit a new separate socket and that would mean removing some of the newly fitted tiles.

10. Pollowick

Would look better if a horizontal was used though - same orientation as all others in a room (usually). I can see the convenience, but personal preference to keep it separate. As it happens, I have 16 sockets above my kitchen worktops.

11. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

16 double sockets Mr P?

12. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Spray it.
    Rs

13. Pollowick

Not quite that bad! four triple and two double ... plus the below surface sockets for appliances and those under the breakfast table. Decided on triples as there are often a lot of small appliances in use when cooking - spice/coffee grinder, whisk, electric mixer, kettle, toaster, microwave, coffee machine, food processor ... and only two of those - kettle (12A) and toaster (8A) are high powered so unlikely that any of the fuses might rupture.

14. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Nice one Mr P - I've never used triple sockets but they sound good m8.

15. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I have too many sockets in my kitchen, said no one ever.

16. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Thats true Doc, I fitted 6 x double and 1x single and they all get used at some stage, especially over the Christmas period. One double has two phone chargers plugged in, another double has phone and another mobile charger plugged in, and another has one of the gangs with toaster plugged in, and another one has ni mh charger plugged in, and single has kettle plugged in and this and that, two doubles not being used right now but will be sometimes.

17. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

18. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Thats plastic Lec - the chap wants a metal one..:)

19. cagey1two3

cagey1two3 New Member

Looks like what I need doesn't exist out in the wilds. Strange though, there is either a gap in the market or I'm the only one who has ever needed one. Not even Alibaba sells anything of the sort and that's unprecedented.
    Thanks for the suggestion though Guys.

20. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Looks like you're gonna have to lose the socket and just fit somethings like this.

bg-nexus-metal-brushed-steel-45a-double-pole-switch-nbs72_6679_1_large.jpg