pressure reducing valve effect on flow

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Craig88, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Craig88

Craig88 Member

Thanks ,sorry I missed your link. Will they be any different to what I currently have installed though? They look exactly the same.

2. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

That is the point ... there are several DIFFERENT versions, some which are unrestricted, which may be what you have and others, that will restrict the flow to 1 or 1.5 US gallons/minute. There are also many other versions, accessed from the first link, with differing characteristics but with a 16.5x1 thread.

Craig88 likes this.
  3. Craig88

Craig88 Member

Ok thanks, I'll measure it tonight as I'm not 100% sure if its 16.5x1 or 18.5x1, once I know I'll attempt to order one. I'll report back.

4. r18rws

r18rws Member

I too had the screeching tap problem. We moved in to a new to us house, but about 10 years old and the en-suite was just as you describe.

Fortunately the basin tap was identical in the downstairs wc so I changed the head from to the other. The screeching moved with the tap.

Solved my problem. Changing the head would have been better and changing the taps completely from the quarter turn version to something that closes off a bit slower would be even better, but not got around to it yet and all the taps match at the moment, shower/basin/bath etc.

What’s screeching - no idea sorry, maybe something that flutters around in the tap head, or some scale that’s affecting the flow ever so slightly, so for you it may be the tap that’s the real issue and is the simpler fix. Is it both hot and cold, is there another set the same in the house that don’t screech?

Craig88 likes this.
  5. Craig88

Craig88 Member

Unfortunately they are the only taps like this in the house. Funny you mention changing from a quarter turn, there a Burlington tap (screw down). When I spoke to them about it, they suggested changing the screw down cartridge to a quarter turn one.

6. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

That's the tap not the pressure. Pressure reducing is supposed to stop hose pipes bursting or shower / boilers bursting inside because of high pressure. I thought for most the water supplier's have sorted the high pressure problems as I've removed mine now.They bugger up after a few years anyway so kept replacing mine.

Craig88 likes this.
  7. :)

Yup. I fitted a PRV to my in-law's house after the safety valve on their electric shower was blown out when they turned it too far to 'cold'.

The PRV calmed things down - but then it started buzzing and whining whenever a tap was turned on. Had to strip it down and silicone lube all the moving parts, and I've had to repeat that process again since... :rolleyes:

Craig88 likes this.
  8. Craig88

Craig88 Member

I've tried to register on the Neoperl website but haven't had an email to confirm my account is active yet. I've also emailed them directly asking where I can buy the aerators I need. I'll see what they come back with.

I've also got the quarter turn cartridges for the taps coming to see if that makes any difference.

9. Craig88

Craig88 Member

Just an update. I ended up changing my cartridges to quarter turn instead of screw down. Its resolved my issue, no more noise! :)

I've now removed the PRV as its not needed.

10. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Glad your problem disappeared, but for others with persistent noise problems, I found that adding an expansion vessel anywhere in the system eliminates noisy plumbing very effectively.
    Don't use the regular red ones that are intended for central heating systems. Use the white ones that are drinking water safe.
    They eliminate all hammering effects from 1/4 turn taps, as well as screeching and any other flow related noises.