How strong

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by dvddvd, Feb 27, 2018.

1. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

im making a mechanical operated dust cover for a turntable.

It's basically a steel box section shelf frame attached to the wall where the turntable sits on.
    Then a 500mm X 420mm X 200mm Perspex box shaped dust cover sits over the turntable.

I then bought a electric actuator which I fitted to the frame, pointing vertical which attaches to the back of the turntable dust cover.

At the press of a button it lifts the Perspex dust cover up vertical. I did used 2 heavy duty drawer runners to guide it up.

The only trouble is when fully extended the drawer runners bend forward due to the weight of the Perspex dust cover.

I have found on eBay some stainless steel cnc guide rods and brackets and sliding bearings which I was going to use instead of the drawer runners.

The fixing brackets will be fixed to the dust cover and the sliding bearing brackets to the main shelf then the stainless steel rod will join the dust cover to the main shelf bracket, the actuator will do the lifting, the stainless steel rod and sliding brackets will just be a guide.

I can buy the stainless steel rod in 16mm, 20mm and 30mm. The distance between dust cover and fixed sliding bearing will be 800mm unsupported.

So how bendy will be 16mm, 20mm and 30mm be? I don't want the weight of the dust cover bending it out of plum?

Does all that make sense?

The square Perspex dust cover is only 5kg, but it's only supported on its back side so there's 500mm over hang so more weight on the guides etc?

I could just buy the 30mm rod but it's twice in he price of the smaller ones thanks

2. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Is this for the Mitchel Gyrodec?, you must have spent a fortune already on motors and actuators, why not just chuck a dustsheet over it at night.

3. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Lol yeah! The actuator was only £45 it works fine but it bends a little out of plum when fully extended

4. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

The rods are from China on eBay so take a month to come.
    So don't want to order wrong one, or end up with it bending due to the weight.

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

A labour of love :)

Over engineer and buy accordingly unless you can do the math.
    Damm Americans!