Wetroom floor tiles

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Bret13, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Bret13

Bret13 New Member

I've been doing loads of work at a house for a customer- they have recently moved in to this place.

There is an ensuite wetroom with rather small tiles on the floor all under 100mm2. So loads of grout lines as there are loads of tiles.

I had to fix some loose tiles back down and regrout- which I did properly. I then coated in Thompsons water seal- as a secondary measure against water ingress. Maybe not the best idea- but I thought it would suffice.

So some of the grout is cracking- due to movement, temperature etc I imagine (note- I didn't fit the wetroom- so have no idea how well it was done in the first place).

What I need to know is - can anyone on here recommend any flexible sealants to coat the whole of the floor area, which will give a clear, watertight, flexible coating, even something quite thick like 1 or 2 mm or more?

Was thinking something along the lines of swimming pool tile sealants..

Thanks in advance.

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

What's the floor made of?

Not sure if there is any miracle coating out there and if there is, it would at best be a,bodge, although someone else might have other ideas.

Sounds like it will have to come up to do a proper job.

Richard Scowen likes this.
  3. Bret13

Bret13 New Member

It's first floor - so it will be timber joists, floorboards, then whatever wetroom system they have used. Don't really want to rip it all up as there are no signs of leakage into ceiling below. and it 'looks' 95% ok.

Though I did end up ripping out the other ensuite and tiled partition at the same property- through leakage and rot everywhere. Replaced it with a large tray and enclosure.

You're right - it would at best be a bodge. But if it works ok, then the customer is happy to do that.

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I had to help put right one recently, similar scenario and although it didn't look too bad, it was a real mess underneath and damp/rot into the lower extremities of the walls.

This one has started to leak, albeit slightly...hardly noticeable until the ceiling started to pop. Had to replace a few joists as well and had only been done a few years prior.

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

The tiles are coming loose and grout cracking due to flex in the floor (but you know this :))

Even flexible adhesives/grouts aren’t that flexible in real terms

You’ve got no insight into how the floor was prepped before tiling, materials used and to what standard the work was carried out

Can’t see how any sealer would stop the above problems as the sealer is gonna be on the surface of the tiles whilst the problem is below the tiles

Would be careful that by ‘touching’ these tiles, the customer may be expecting some kind of miracle cure that you’ve carried out

When they continue to loosen and crack, your name is gonna be 1st on the list as last one to ‘touch’ the tiles

I may be being unfair here on the customer as they may well be totally decent peeps and understand the situation

Just don’t go promising a fix unless ur talking about a total rip out :)

Jord86 likes this.
  6. Bret13

Bret13 New Member

Yeh I've had a lot of repeat work from them, they're good customers and know the score- but I know exactly what you're saying.

I'm just trying to avoid ripping this ensuite apart too- it might have to happen though!..

7. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

If you have to pull it apart then use Hardie Flooring in 18 or 22 mm rather than ply or similar on 9x2 joists with wet underfloor heating between them. I did my own using that - then Ardex flexible adhesive and coloured grout a near perfect finish (well as best as I can get it)

KIAB likes this.
  8. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Does not make sense!

Should say:

If you have to pull it apart then use Hardie Flooring in 18 or 22 mm rather than ply or similar. I did my own wetroom using Hardie Floor on 9x2 joists with wet underfloor heating between them, then ...