Advice on attaching electrical boxes

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Matrad, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Matrad

Matrad New Member

Hi all

Any advice on how to effectively attach ectrical boxes to brick & Block walls that have been very badly chased i.e. A very uneven back with up to 3cm to fill in some parts to get them to finish slightly proud of the wall ready for plastering?

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Expanding foam?

WillyEckerslike and KIAB like this.
  3. You will need to flatten the brick or block using a comb chisel,chisel or and bolster,whichever is your choice.
    When you have the bricks/blocks flat fit deeper boxes or fit extension collars to the boxes to bring out to plaster finish.

4. Where is your horse stabled.

5. Matrad

Matrad New Member

Is there a specific type of foam for this, in addition would this be a sound enough fix.

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I'll await other opinions.

7. That is a cowboy bodge job.Do it properly.

8. HarDeBloodyHarHar

HarDeBloodyHarHar Active Member

Chuck a wodge of sand/cement mix in there, scrape it to required depth, Bob's ur uncle etc.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  10. Certain foams used to damage the pvc on cables,read regulation 522.5.3.

Kiab I have, unlike you, worked in the building and construction industry on sites,both industrial, commercial and domestic over the years.
    Every thing I know is through actual experience and not browsing diy forums.

From what I gather you once maybe worked in a builders merchants.
    I will not be the only one on here who laughs at the porkies you come out with,maybe some of the stories are true you heard when behind the counter.

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I've worked both side of the counter, mainly domestic nearly 40 years, make it 35 years, if I allow for accidents,etc.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  12. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

I have used foam when I have encountered hollow brick walls were you can't get a fixing or fast dry cement, in this case tho just level off brick fit a deeper box

13. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

My favourite ..... gotta be bonding plaster;

Almost no depth limitation

Cheap

Sets even quicker if outta date

Dampen brick or PVA 5-1 water

Chuck in bonding

Tap in back box to required level

Drill and plug through bonding into brick

Semi tighten screws, fully tighten once bonding set

I’m only diy me but I’ve used this method few times and it’s a lovely job :)

DIY womble likes this.
  14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

So pretty much like using expanding foam. :)

15. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Bonding plaster all the way. Fill the hole and set the back box in. Push in a couple of red plugs and screw when dry.
    Jobs a good un. Tea and biscuits time.

16. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Thing is with me as diy, whenever I’ve bought a can of foam, I only need a squirt of it, never the full can

Have a can of the Everbuild foam cleaner and it’s really excellent stuff. Cleans the spray tube in seconds and cleans the nozzle on the can

Can goes back into garage for some months, next time you need to use it, can never works, even though I’ve cleaned it out so waste 80% of the can

Not worth me buying gun and gun grade foam, just don’t use enough

So for me, I decant a sack of bonding into two 10ltr paint buckets and it lasts me for an age

As mentioned, when out of date, it sets quicker which can be handy and if using for a small repair, is fine as you may only have 5-10 mins workable time

So no, nothing like foam really chips :)

17. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Cheers metro, my thoughts exactly :)

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I meant the technique, I use lots of foam but never use bonding so don't have any of that around.

19. Matrad

Matrad New Member

Thanks for your response

20. Matrad

Matrad New Member

Thanks for your response.

Do I need to make the bonding mix thicker than normal & will the box need to by held in place while it goes off?