The whole thing needs replacing, mate...

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by bowen192, Mar 12, 2018.

1. bowen192

bowen192 Member

I've been told all my lead piping needs removing due to this little doozy between the gas inlet/meter and the boiler:

[​IMG]

The gas fire t's off from the lead.

Is he right?

2. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

If you do still have lead /compo pipe it has had its day, all joints on gas lead were soldered never been OK to use any compression joints on gas lead.

KIAB and bowen192 like this.
  3. bowen192

bowen192 Member

Pretty much what they said.

Always check before handing over £400 for some copper pipe though.

Cheers, mate.

4. £400?

What length of pipe is involved, and what is access like?

5. bowen192

bowen192 Member

It's a bungalow and it's going from the meter in a cupboard at the entrance of the house to the boiler in the kitchen via the loft. Access is good

It will have to t off to a gas fire, and the pipe does disappear into the wall for this.

I'd say approx 10m as the crow flies to the wall mounted boiler & the height to the loft.

6. And is the pipe to the gas fire already copper and can stay put or does that need replacing too?

If it does, then that adds to the work a fair amount, with him presumably making good all the required damage afterwards?

If it doesn't, then that's a very nice little earner for a length of pipe. Worth getting a second quote?

7. bowen192

bowen192 Member

Everything is lead except for the 'connection' to the boiler.

The thing is I'm between a rock and a hard place. I've got a 4 year old and a 7 month year old in a house with no hot water or heating; the job needs doing. Realistically I'm not going to get someone out to look at the job, quote and do it before Wednesday. I was expecting about £300, so it's not a massive shock.

I was just asking in case someone came back with, 'nah, he's talking boulders, it'll be fine'.

Annoyingly I'm having a loft conversion done as we speak, so I'm looking at ripping the combi out and installing a system w/uv cylinder. Just annoying that I'm paying for something that's going to get binned in a month or so.

8. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

What's the urgency to have this work done now? Unless its leaking, its still working right?

9. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Maybe because a Gas-Safe fitter has seen it and condemned it.

10. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

If the drop test proved good.....leave it for the month and use it.
    RS

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  11. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

It's probably been cut off, otherwise I doubt the OP would be here seeking advice.

12. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

That is a non approved fitting for gas same thing as using push fit or plastic, hse need a word with the last fitter!

13. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

A question for those with Gas Safe qualification. Why can the joint not be removed and replaced with one which meets the required standard? Surely that would be the easiest and most cost effective option.

Maybe the OP should get the fitter he will be using for the new install and unvented cylinder to do a temporary change and then update anything else with the main install.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  14. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

I no longer hold a Corgi reg being retired from gas but I would simply have refused to connect directly to old lead supplies.
    Lead has not been used since meter connections went to stainless around the 70's. For outlet supplies even in the 60's they were being pulled out and condemed, not worth the risk.

KIAB likes this.
  15. There is not a compression joint that is allowed from lead to copper.
    The only way is sweating the lead onto the copper using a taft joint,whether it is still allowed I do not know,but doubt it .

teabreak likes this.
  16. bowen192

bowen192 Member

As Isitreally says, it's been capped off.

The gas board did it when we could smell leaking gas.

The name on the form is K Söze.

And like that... he was gone.

I wanted to do this, but there are no joints that meet a required standard now and you're not allowed to sweat the joints together either.

Thanks for all your replies.

17. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Do you have "Home Emergency" cover on your insurance? That often covers situations where yiou are left with no heating, power, water &c. Could be worth investigating.

bowen192 likes this.
  18. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

I'm not longer gas safe the but I can't see why a lead soldered flange joint between the copper and gas cannot be wiped (unless there's no one who has the skill to do this these days). I mean it's not supplying wholesome water is it?

19. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

The compression fitting in #1 looks like a leadloc fitting,could be wrong thou :)

Hope its not ;) leadlock fittings rely on a rubber o ring to create a seal-not much help if there is a fire in that area. Mind you the lead would soon melt o_O

20. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    If the pipe work is sound, you have works in progress, loft etc, new gas carcass, to be fitted, ...
    Not sure if it’s classed as I.d or what, with common sense I’d say at risk, and it’s in the process of being renewed..

Show me someone whe complys with all the regs, and I’ll show you some one who’s out of work, or telling porkys