Doors

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by mrppp, Mar 11, 2018.

1. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

To be 100% if we are talking oak veneers doors going into old frames anything more than 3 in a day is a good day.

2. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Thanks, that's re-assuring. I hung six one day, the next day I fitted the handles and a couple of privacy locks, thought that would take me to luchtime but took all day, then the following day just did 2 where the frames were all over the place. I thought I was losing the plot but mostly when I fit doors it's the lightweight moulded mdf variety.

3. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I do them the same way. All the doors in for perhaps the first floor in one hit then handle and locks/latches in another hit. Roughly speaking I would average 3 doors and handles/latches per day. Thats for oak veneer.

Hollow moulded doors maybe 5 doors with handles/latches in a day.

Thats on old frames which always take longer.

Been trying to sway customers towards jigtech handles recently though. They speed things up.

4. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

So i guess i need to allow a day per door !

5. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

Could anyone suggest a suitable electric planer for Veneer doors?

6. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

I will be getting that system then!

7. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

For doors my set-up is a Dewalt track saw for initial sizing and then a cordless Dewalt planer for final shooting in. Recently I have started using a Metabo FSX Intec 125mm sander linked up to a Dewalt cordless extractor for cleaning up edges, sanding 2 pack filler on old hinges etc and that has been superb. The sander is astonishingly cheap at something like £40 but performs like a much more expensive one.

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Nice to see you back BTW. What made you return?

9. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Thats really nice of you to say. Great to see some old faces still on here. I dont know really why I decided to come back! It does seem however that things are a little calmer these days.

The bad old days on here were like a relentless pub fight!

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Don't go on just talk or the sparks forum then.
    There are a few chippies on here that talk sense now, HA has transformed into hardehar and seems to avoid this forum and Screwfix Peter tends to jump in if things get out of hand.
    Doe's your girlfriend still dress in chintz curtains?

11. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I did suspect that they were one and the same!

Refresh my memory about chintz curtains!

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You posted a picture of your girlfriend, to be honest with my memory if you can't remember it I could have got you mixed up with someone else.

13. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I dont think I did but I do recall being involved in a conversation when someone else did. Chintz curtains certainly does ring a bell.

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Did you ever date a posh bird?

15. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Not really. I think I once had a drink with someone who listened to The Archers. Does that count?

NiklasV likes this.
  16. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

Just took a look at Travis Perkins they seem to do the wickes doors with extra lippage at good prices

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It's not you then :p:p

18. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

Took some time to look at Wickes( Travis Perkins) vs Howdens doors. The veneer is definitely different, the TP ones look more shiny ( almost artificial ) Howdens look much more like real wood maybe why one can be oiled one can't.

19. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

Bought the Jigtech system with all handles latches etc, really quick fit glad you mentioned them saved me loads of time, look nice too. Why the smaller drill arbour in kit?

20. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

When drilling them there is a risk you could break on through to the other side.