Shared neutral and RCD woes

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by JohnDeere8420, Mar 13, 2018.

1. JohnDeere8420

JohnDeere8420 Member

thanks for your replies, in response to your questions above (bear with me I am no electrician)

I want 2 RCD as each circuit will be protected individually. This is important with the gates as there is no easy way in to the property if the rcd trips through say the lights and cuts supply to the gates
    It is not an easy job digging the flower bed up as a big hedge has to come out now. Not impossible but a last resort
    Supply type at intake position? I am not too sure what you mean?
    The drawing does show the SWA cable being terminated in the house and connected to a socket. This is next to the fuse box and it is actually 2 sockets, one for the gate(grey) and the other one for the two lighting circuits (Black and Blue)

I am now thinking, what I originally asked isn't easily possible? This is pretty much as I had imagined from just logically thinking (I am no electrician mind)

2. JohnDeere8420

JohnDeere8420 Member

I've been told a relay might be the answer here, but for the life of me I can't see how?,

3. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Hi John

You don't say what size the SWA is or what the loading of the lights are but if I have understood your post correctly it may be possible to do the following.

2 circuits, one for lights using 2 cores, and one for gate using 2 cores.

Common earth via SWA sheath.

The SWA does not need RCD protection. In the junction box for the lamp post fit an RCBO of an appropriate size. Lighting feed to input and column to output. Column now RCD protected.

At the gate, lighting circuit to RCBO and gate supply to separate RCBO appropriately sized. Both circuits compliant, separated and RCD protected.

Kind regards

4. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

That would be the ideal - except he cannot access the junction box to rewire and create a second Neutral. Using a common neutral to the two remote RCBOs/RCDs should be OK.

The house end needs sorting too ... perhaps wiring from a non-RCD point to a small CU with say 1x6 and 1x10/16A MCBs. It really does need a local review to decide what can be done at that point.

5. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Agreed. A local investigation may reveal a method.

Nice to see JB's being accessible.

Kind regards

6. JohnDeere8420

JohnDeere8420 Member

many thanks for this. Yes I think you are right in putting RCBO at the 'ends'. In my case I can only easily do this for the gate control mechanism as it's contained in a box on the wall. I think the lights, by being plastic and the fact nobody touches them I may just leave and have done with it

Thanks for all your replies