Paint coming off walls

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by RolandK, Mar 20, 2018.

1. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

I'm in the process of redecorating at home. Most of downstairs, hall, stairs and landing. I have a problem with the state of the walls as I strip off the old wall paper. the walls are dry lined and the plasterboard has never been skimmed. In some areas as I pull off the paper the old emulsion underneath strips off with it right down to the plasterboard. I guess there's about two or three coats of emulsion. In other areas the emulsion is stuck fast and this is only where paint is over the filler in the plasterboard joints. In other areas the paint can be stripped off with some effort but is sort of stuck on! Looks to me like the plasterboard was never sealed before being painted for the first time! What I'm left with is areas of bare plasterboard with a hard edge where the paint remains (about 1 - 2mm proud) and some where the paint remains but is not that secure. I think if I paper as it is the edges will show under the paper. Would a good lining paper get over this or should I try and feather the hard edges with filler? It's a large area I'm talking about - about 30 rolls worth!
    Cheers

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Tricky. Depending on budget, getting it skimmed by a decent plasterer would be worthwhile and will give you the best finish...if they're good.
    How many square metres?

3. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Hi
    It is about 150 sq meters give or take.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Lining paper will not hide your problem it will simply cover it over, the finish with lining paper is only as good as the surface it is put on. Easifil would be a good filler to help sort your problem and then line the walls with either lining paper or WallRock FibreLiner various width available up to 1metre.

5. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

If area is a lot then getting it skimmed might be more economic and longer lasting?

6. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

I was planning to get the ceilings skimmed to get rid of the horrible artex so asked the plasterer (a friend of ours) round to give me a quote to do the walls too. Because of the need to get the existing paint off and the large area and the number of doors and windows etc. it would be an extra £1100 to do the walls!! And that's mates rates!
    I'm going to plod on with the filling idea and feather the hard edges. Will use the Easifil as suggested then line it. The fiberliner looks expensive but cheaper than a reskim! Is it a lot better than paper?
    Thanks all.

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Far superior than paper and is a lot tougher, Google or YouTube - WalllRock Fibre Liner. I use the Fibre Liner 180 plus @75cm width mostly as it has a lot finer finish than the ordinary Fibre Liner.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

One of those where £1100 seems a lot of money to shell out, but by the time you've bought all the other materials, spent hours and hours sanding filling and lining, dealing with dust, then you'll wish you spent the money on getting it skimmed.

koolpc likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Agree.

Going to take a lot of filler for 150 sq meters, filler not cheap, having skimmed works out the better option, & a lot less mess.:)

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Likely the OP has a budget that needs to be strictly kept too. Been their, done it etc!

11. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Just an update. I went down the filler route in the end mainly due to cost. I was going to get the walls skimmed but then we had a leaking hot water cylinder leak thru the recently plastered lounge ceiling.
    By the time all that was sorted the dosh for the reskim was gone and then some!
    Took ages to do the filler a load of mess even more time then had to line it all with 1400 paper.
    I should have found the extra money to get it skimmed as planned. As some of you said on here it would have been the best solution no doubt. Live and learn!

KIAB likes this.
  12. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

If it's really 1-2mm proud it sounds to me like you've actually stripped the paper covering off the plasterboard in places. Not sure where that leaves you. What do others think? Is PB that has lost its outer skin worth skimming? I guess the plasterer will have an opinion.

13. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

The paper on the plaster board is fine. What has happened is that the coats of paint (about 3 or 4 of them) applied to the plaster board have come away where the original paint has not stuck to the wall. It only stuck where there was jointing compound at the plaster board joints or over nails. This left the hard edges of paint.
    The good advice I had on here was to reskim and looking back I wish I had found the money to do that. I have rectified the problem to a large degree but the original walls were not a very good job to start with so I haven't exactly made a silk purse out of a sow's ear but better than it would have been short of reskimming.
    Cheers