Why are leavers such numpties

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by chippie244, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Could you have a quick scan through this, please, Joe, https://community.screwfix.com/search/10287131/ ? You will see there the names of the threads I’ve responded to along with the opening sentence of my responses; does this support what you’ve just said? Yes, if you go back a few weeks, I have been ‘consumed’ by Brexit on some of these threads, so you will see a lot more of my responses to this, but not at the expense of ‘other’ stuff. In any event, Brexit means quite a lot to me, and reading my posts ain’t compulsory.

Tho’ is highly recommended.

2. Yup, a week's ban for using an abbreviated naughty word in response to Chippie tying me up and placing me in a gimp mask - the knots were 'quite' tight.

Nothing at all aimed at actual posters.

3. I don't think that Brexit, from the Leave point of view, is a rational issue for many - possibly most - of the protagonists; once again the evidence is writ extremely large on this very forum.

I believe it is, instead, more of a ‘belief system’, a bit like religion & faith. It is simply wishful and wilful. As with many ‘faith’ systems, it can make otherwise ‘nice’ folk behave in a not at all nice way – yes, I’m talking mainly about you, X*, who has undergone a disturbing personality change over the past year or so from most affable to, well, youknowwhat. Although you are certainly not alone.

As with ‘faith’ systems, when presented with overwhelming evidence that credibly rebuts them (that their belief system was initially fed on fiction, coupled with the damage already being caused, coupled with nothing but ‘belief’ that the outcome will be ‘great’, coupled with a suspicion of reason; “We’ve had enough of experts…”, “the BBC (and no doubt Ch4) is just biased or ‘leftie’…”), they are in serious danger of looking like fools. Since they have no credible evidence with which to populate their case, they are apt instead to react with the anger and sneering and glibness and flippancy and self-congratulation and mutual back-slapping we see time and time again on here.

Anything but reason.

*Being careful...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2018
    btiw2 likes this.
  4. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

Wins the btiw2 “phrase of the day” award.
    It’d make a great title for a novel.

5. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Any response regarding the figures relating to average household state spending versus average household income?

6. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I too can confirm I have never reported anyone ever either. That's in either 14 or 15 years on and off.

Plenty are happy to dish it out plenty and when they get it back run to teacher.

7. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

He's back and already got a like from B2, he'll be in his element. :p:p:p

8. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

W
    Welcome back DA. Been an interesting time. Reports of your demise were premature.

Apparently "how do you get a champagne cork back into a bottle" is trending at Brexit HQ.

9. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

No. No response. It looked like it’ll turn into a “Hotel California” discussion.

I plan on having a long weekend, without needing to spend it going back and forth in these forums. You make some good points. Nothing personal.

10. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

I thought it was well written, and I’ll like anything with the word “rebuts” in it. It’s a lovely word.

11. facilities

facilities Guest

I will also state for the record That I have only reported Trolls and their use of obscene language and totally fabricated posts that has no bearing on reality

I realise that statement may encompass some of your comrades Goldy but it was not me, also I assume that if someone gets reported they are not automatically banned surely SF Peter has the last word when he checks it out

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2018
  12. facilities

facilities Guest

Yes Isiteally in this instance I think B2 is just trying to integrate DA back into society and doesn’t necessarily enjoy his post, I would commend him on this,

As we have seen over the last year DA and one or three others are finding it difficult to come to terms with the Brexit situation and probably needs some help, I myself have put a like on some of his posts just to cheer him up, I have also tried to put a like on Chips posts but to my shame just can’t bring myself to go this far.

So to all you guys on the sensible winning side try and cut the Remoaners some slack, just imagine if you were in their shoes trying to convince a disbelieving world that they are perfectly sane.

13. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Easy to avoid it rolling on. It looks pretty clear cut that the figures I was roundly condemned on were hugely innaccurate and misleading.

There is nothing sinister in what has gone on. You were quick to jump on me with those figures to "prove" me wrong. You should be equally quick to acknowledge that both those figures are utterly bogus.

That would only seem the fair thing.

facilities likes this.
  14. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

I get part of what of what you're saying, the only thing I would add is that btiw did substantiate a lot of what he said backed up with figures from the ONS, whereas your argument is backed by an internet troll just off a ban for trolling and insulting people. Welcome back btw DA.

longboat likes this.
  15. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

What a remarkable coincidence, because I don't think that Brexit, from the Remain point of view, is a rational issue for many - possibly most - of the protagonists; once again the evidence is writ extremely large on this very forum.

16. HarDeBloodyHarHar

HarDeBloodyHarHar Active Member

Where's the 'Don't Like' button?

17. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Think you have missed the fact that the ONS figure quoted was incorrect and misleading. It was actually the net figure rather than the gross figure suggested. That's a huge difference.

18. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

You really remind me of someone.

19. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

Oh god. This is like the Middle East conflict. Easy to get into, but I’ll be here for ages.

I thought JoT was hard work.

GB - you don’t have subpoena powers. But I’ll state my reasoning again and sources.

Okay. 800 billion and 20 million are figures you can look up on ons or Wikipedia.

Why do we use the mean for those? Simply put, most expenditure is evenly distributed (unemployment benefit is a small part ONS). So pensions (most of us get old), health (most of us get sick), defence (the army protects us all) don’t care particularly how much you earn. The mean is the best yardstick for expenditure distribution.

So we need every household to pay 40k in tax. Yes, we can include all taxes, but the average joe (statistically speaking we use medians for this) doesn’t pay corporation tax.

You’re right the the disposable income figure doesn’t take into account direct tax at source. But on a two income household that’d account for roughly 5k. Even a one income household would be left with only a couple of grand left to live on if they had to pay 40k.

This is just obvious stuff.

My (initial) point about the difference between the median and mean is the key here. In any society with a positive skewed income distribution (ie all societies) and progressive tax system will result in “the average joe” not paying their fair share.

It’s the same statistical reason why nearly everybody has more than the average number of legs (but reversed as that’d be negative skew).

20. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

C’mon filly. Da wasn’t banned for insulting people.

Can’t you Brexitears (that’s what you’ll be shedding!) give him credit for holding his tongue in the “benefits of Brexit” thread?

I was impressed. DA went up in my estimation. I’m usually the first to criticise DA for smothering conversations with insults. I was wrong. I though he comported[1] himself admirably in that thread. Can I get an Amen? No? Thought not.

The irony being that DA was banned for being humorous about his showing restraint.

But, sure, welcome back ... (searching for a noun: mate/pal/buddy imply a level of friendship I’m not ready for, sir/your grace/m’laud sound like I’m trying to speak like RS, ah! I know)... y’ol’ curmudgeon.

[1] I like that word.