Shed cladding options

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Pallet-man, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Pallet-man

Pallet-man Member

Planning my workshop or little girls summer house :rolleyes: in the garden 6m x 3m but stuck on what cladding to use.

Framed out of 4x2, floor 6x2 sat on sleepers on blocks with 18mm 8x4 boards.

Cladding is either going to be...
    Decking boards vertically
    Exterior plywood with roof battens between the joins

Don't want shiplap as want something minimum 18mm thick but with shiplap that's still coming in at over £500..
    Plywood may need 16 sheets

Cheers

2. How would decking boards be water tight? And they expand and shrink a lot over the seasons.

Can you compromise? Eg are they shed sides that aren't really on view? If so, board them with exterior ply and use proper shiplap on the 'nice' sides.

Or, use thinner ply to provide the water-tight covering and clad it with cheap thin shiplap for appearance - the combined thickness will be 18mm at least.

I made a playhouse and used gravel boards for the outer skin as I wanted a rustic look, but that wasn't cheap either...

What other coverings are possible? How much is PVC shiplap? Or plastic or metal sheeting (like roofing panels)?

Can Sterling board be used outside if it's given a good protective coating of summat? (Again thinking of using that on the out-of-view sides).

3. Jimmycloutnail

Jimmycloutnail Screwfix Select

You need to put a breathable membrane over the osb (use 11mm it’s cheaper) then if you put dpc over all the Battens you could use your decking board vertically but not going give you the longest life span

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

One of the easiest and cheapest materials to use on the roof and hidden sides are metal profile sheets. They come ready painted and even cut to your exact size. For my workshop I used these for three sides and the roof and then used shiplap for the front.

If you want to use plywood on the outside with battens, then you will need WBP plywood. However, you are looking at between £25 and £40 a sheet. You could get cheaper ply and cover it with felt. The costs for this soon mount up and the lifetime for felt is quite short.

if you are lucky you may be able to source something in a salvage yard or on eBay/gumtree. The doors and windows in my workshop came from a conservatory I bought on eBay for £150 and just skipped all the bits I didn't need

5. Cecilb70

Cecilb70 Active Member

I'm failing to see how making something into an eyesore is ever a good idea. The cheapest good cladding is t and g 15mm boards made from spruce.usually random length upto 5.2m. put them vertically for the longest lifespan. Treat them properly.decking is actually expensive in comparison to this product. You will have to visit a bigger timber yard though. Ply would look s#*t and would delaminate in about a month. Osb looks terrible.

retiredsparks likes this.
  6. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

What about pressure treated feather edge boards, six inch or four inch for the external skin.

7. big all

big all Screwfix Select

keep in mind within 1m off the boundary your restricted to 2.5m total height to avoid the need for planning

retiredsparks likes this.
  8. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

There are other regs too regarding footprint, location height etc.
    RS

9. retiredsparks

Not really sure what OSB is ever meant to be used for..... in any practical building application.... apart from shelving in a garage...which is what I used it for.
    Rs

10. Cecilb70

Cecilb70 Active Member

Osb 3 for roof decks. Osb 1 for internal walls in timber frame. ( One is totally waterproof one is water resistant)

11. Jimmycloutnail

Jimmycloutnail Screwfix Select

Sheathing timber frame buildings, sheathing roofs, subfloors, internal load bearing walls

Jord86 likes this.
  12. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Shuttering, pattresses, I beam joists, can render over once properly prepared i.e. dormers, the list goes on. :)

13. retiredsparks

Yes...when installed under totally dry conditions.....which dont happen in UK.
    It's a rubbish product...hyped up.
    No reputable builder even in the US will use it.
    It is rubbish.
    RS

14. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

OSB 3 is water resistant, not OSB 2. It's a pretty versatile product.

15. Cecilb70

Cecilb70 Active Member

Osb 3 is in many ways better than ply as a general building board. Far east ply is terrible outside or even unheated. It delaminates and occasionally grows a crop of mould! And of course it's not flat.never.

16. retiredsparks

'Water resistant.'......love that saying.
    Where is it useful......in any practical building application in the Uk weather ?
    Absolute rubbish product...apart from shelving...and even then if I had a decent workshop garage which i was going to use regularly.....I would not use it.
    I appreciate its use in I beam construction...in totally dry installation conditions.
    RS