Sealing a plywood floor

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Andrew Davison, Apr 5, 2018.

1. I know this is a kitchen section but wondered if you could help with a bathroom question as I think this will be the best place.

I’m replacing the bathroom floor with 25mm ply in preparation for the new bathroom being fitted. I can’t get 25mm marine grade at a reasonable price so I’ll be using 25mm standard ply and sealing it. My question is what would you recommend to seal it with before the cushion flooring goes down.

Second question. What’s the strongest grab adhesive that screefix sell. Will be used mainly wood to wood but possibly wood to metal as well.

Thanks

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Do you need to seal it? Is water resistant chipboard (green finish) out of flavour?

3. I absolutely detest chipboard and want something stronger.
    I figured with it being a wet environment it would be beat to try and make it as water resistant as possible

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Daft as it may sound you can use 'Thompsons Water Seal'. Do the edges and underside as well.

5. THe one that says not for wood substrates?

6. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Not this one.

clear-thompson-s-waterseal-wood-sealers-11805-64_1000.jpg

Andrew Davison and Astramax like this.
  7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

No the one that says Suitable for Plywood!........................kids today:rolleyes:

Andrew Davison and Jord86 like this.
  8. I thought that but you said believe it or not which made me think the masonry one lol.

Cheers guys

9. Next stupid question. Where the he’ll do you buy it from? Only place I’ve found it is amazon and it’s currently unavailable

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Look on Youtube at video .....'Plywood with waterseal under sink faucet'

Andrew Davison likes this.
  11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Screwfix sell a No Nonsense water repellent sealer, says it is suitable for wood @ £18.49 for 5lts

1 person likes this.