Adding a socket near the consumer unit

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Lt. Columbo, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Lt. Columbo

Lt. Columbo New Member

I am looking into adding an additional socket to a cupboard near the consumer unit.

One of the 2 mains MCBs has 3 wires connected:

- 2 wires feeding a ring main circuit for bedrooms and living room. I don't want to touch that.
    - A 3rd wire which feeds a socket in the cupboard with a 2nd socket spurred from that.

Ideally I want to somehow add a 3rd socket to these 2.

Is this classed as a radial in which case I could spur a 3rd socket from the 2nd one? Or is it a spur in which case I can't spur from an existing spur?

Or can I add a junction box of a FCU in order to add the additional socket?

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Put a fused spur between the c/unit and the first socket and then you can add as many sockets as you like because they'll all be protected by the 13a fuse in the spur.

3. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

@Lt. Columbo - Why have you chosen the user name that makes direct reference to me, in particular with reference to the debacle a few days back when LeeSparkyKent came back under the user name coloumbo?

4. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Think the op asked a legimate question, doubt he would know your issues with leesparkey, think you need to let it go and move on

Jord86 likes this.
  5. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Ideally add another MCB to the consumer unit, 20amp, feeding the small radial, leaving the ring on its own.

6. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

That will then become a "new circuit" which is of course notifiable, I doubt the op would want to go down that road just for one extra socket Lec.

7. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

I did say “ideally”, and we all know even if he adds an MCB, the likely hood of notification is negligible!

seneca likes this.
  8. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

It's so obviously leesparkykent. It's all in the username. No genuine newby would choose such a user name, it's a total reference to what happened last week. I'm not particularly busted up over it tbh, it is what it is. It's the members on here that have taken it seriously and posted replies that he's laughing at.

unphased likes this.
  9. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Dont worry about it Mr C - at the end of the day all this stuff is just words on a computer screen, nowt more, or owt less m8.

Sparkielev likes this.
  10. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

I would of thought he would of posted something more taxing you should just let it ride over your head asJP said it just words

11. Lt. Columbo

Lt. Columbo New Member

Thanks for the helpful replies. If I can't just add a 3rd socket to the 2nd then I think I'll add a fused spur as suggested as I don't want to touch the consumer unit.

My username isn't anything to with you. I just registered yesterday and chose something random which came to mind since I was recently watching the popular 70s TV detective show. The name wasn't in use and I didn't realise I had to run it by you first!

Thanks again for those who were helpful.

12. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Lee - it's you. Why would it be anyone else? I'm fussed tbh, I just think it's a bit sad more than anything. You so want to be part of the forum but just can't find a way to do it without being the "one", can you.

Bazza-spark and unphased like this.
  13. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I must admit he is worryingly familiar! Both his posts and antagonistic choice of username fool everyone except those who see straight through it. His insincerity is carefully worded mockery. He is either a long way up the autistic spectrum or dangerously down the psychotic.

Coloumb likes this.
  14. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Col, he did it with me. I had a complete assault off him. Keep an eye on the git!

Kind regards

Coloumb likes this.
  15. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

16. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

The last time I think we had a member as mad as this who made so many comebacks was that Lighting Man guy, who always said "do you dance" or something like that. He had a bit of a drink problem though to be fair.

17. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Not really happy about instructing any non-sparks to go rogering in a DB, get a sparks in, simple job, budget £100.00 'arry tash and your done