Kitchen Cupboard Help Needed!!!

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Stevie dee, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Stevie dee

Stevie dee New Member

Good Morning
    I'm really hoping someone can help!!

Having to put right some kitchen cupboard installation that a friend of ours did. Most of brackets were already in the correct position but having to move one.
    Its dot and dab plaster, about 20mm gap i think.
    I have 70mm screws (as per other brackets) but how the hell do you get the plugs into the brick behind...as ive lost countless falling through....
    Should i revert to the long rawl plugs??

Help required as i have an impatient other half!!

Cheers

2. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Screw the screw into the plug a couple of turns, then just tap the screw and plug into the hole until the plug is well into the brickwork. Remove the screw and fix the bracket.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Usually you can attach plug to screw just enough turns to guide it into the hole.

4. Stevie dee

Stevie dee New Member

Thanks for replying.Yes i tried this but could be problem with hole size. I did use 5.5mm for brown plug maybe it's opened out a little.

Also i noticed one of the holes is in fresh air, think I've hit the mortar. I do have another location so not a problem.

5. Squashrobinson

Squashrobinson Active Member

5.5mm is for red plugs. Think brown is more like 7mm?

6. Stevie dee

Stevie dee New Member

Hole size...i thought hole size had to be slightly smaller?? Ie 5.5 for brown.....probably wrong

7. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

5.5/6 red, 7 Brown. If you can't for the life of you get a plug to stay in, whittle yourself a tapered wooden spike about 6" long either out of a dowel or piece of scrap softwood, small enough to enter the hole but big enough the other end to jam, and hammer it into the hole tight as you can, without making the house fall down. Cut any excess off and then pilot drill the hole and screw your bracket on.

8. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

If its the soft thermolite blocks I just push a screw driver the correct size into block.. Goes in easy and the crushing helps firm up. Makes me laugh when I see trades with massive sds drill to make a hole. Red or brown plug will be fine but buy the better quality plugs like Fischer . Harder plastic. Much better design. No stupid flange at the top stopping plug going in hole

9. Stevie dee

Stevie dee New Member

Great advice thank you all....i shall get on it now

10. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

And in future angle the hole slightly downhill when fixing wall brackets. Creates a hook effect which prevents the screw ever working loose.

Stevie dee likes this.
  11. Stevie dee

Stevie dee New Member

Success using this method thanks guys.

When i mentioned possibly hitting mortar, it has happened in an adjacent location about 10-15mm over. So the plug has nothing to grip onto. Is it possible that the brick is crumbling?

Is it possible to just use a filler when fitting the plug? Cant see what's going on behind the plaster unfortunately.

12. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Try drilling using the existing hole in the plasterboard and angling the drill bit down and to the side. You may well end up hitting some "meat" to fix into better.

13. Stevie dee

Stevie dee New Member

It appears as though the brick behind has crumbled in this area. So with 3 holes in the bracket, left hand one is fine... its the 2 locations to the right that are the issue.

This is the left hand bracket for the cupboard. The right hand bracket is solid.

Not sure you can fix to fresh air....love these 5minute jobs

14. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Are you using all three holes on the bracket?

Only the top two are used usually.

15. Stevie dee

Stevie dee New Member

Well i had trouble with the far right one....so i tried the middle one and same problem

16. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Is there another wall unit directly to the left of your problem bracket?

17. Stevie dee

Stevie dee New Member

Yes there will be...a smaller 40cm cupboard.

18. Stevie dee

Stevie dee New Member

There is one to the right as well. Another 50cm....one on the left is 40cm

19. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

If there really is nothing behind the plasterboard as in a damaged brick or block (which is unlikely) , then you may have problems.

Solution as Jord suggests is to fix to the unit next to it.

Or to get a longer cabinet bracket which you would need to order.

Or you could cut the plasterboard below and slide a piece of timber into the void coated in gripfill or similar to fix the bracket to. Often called letterboxing.

20. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Right well if you screw all the cabinets together then the left and right ones will obviously provide a lot of support to the central unit, providing the left and right unit brackets are themselves fixed to the wall securely.