Walnut worktop

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by spen123, Apr 10, 2018.

1. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

He won't have any of that. He' saying he wants a knew top

2. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

He has to be reasonable about it.

Take the sink out and if it can go back in and there is no gap he has nowt to complain about.

Jord86 likes this.
  3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

IF the gap can be hidden, then why would he be so obstinate? If it can't, then as everyone else has said, change the sink if possible. Replacing worktop should be absolutely last resort.

4. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I agree.

Keep us informed.

5. Socket and spur above washing machine need levelling

6. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

It looks to me as if the back edge of the sink is hard up against the upstand OP ? The cutout aperture should never have been cut that close. I assume OP that you fitted the kitchen ? Why didn't you cut the sink aperture yourself ? There is no way i would ever trust a plumber to do something as important as cutting a sink aperture.
    As has been said though, bedding a composite sink on silicon without using the clamps is fine. We always fit them that way, leave a couple of transformers in the bowl and on the drainer for a couple of hours and the jobby is jobbed. The sink has to come out whatever happens, if the sink edges cover the cutout enough (5mm say) the customer has nothing to complain about and it should be re-fitted.

7. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

From the picture he sent would mean that the drainer side and bowl side would be sat on about 1mm of worktop. I think I'll just have to replace it then sort it out after with the plumber. He was on about small claims court and citizens advise if it wasn' sorted how he wanted it done so I don' want that

8. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

No the customer fitted the kitchen himself. Didn' fit sink as he didnt have it at that point and was unsure on what would be installed. I think I could put it filler in to gain support but if the customer says no then not much I can do. I dont want to be having a row with anyone and he has already threatened the route of small claims court. I didnt do electrics only put worktop on

9. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

So you supplied a kitchen to a customer as a "supply only" ? If that's the case, then why are you even getting involved in this at all ? After all, supply only is just that, supply only.

10. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

Sorry I'm confusing you. The customer has bought the kitchen from wickes and fitted the units. I have fitted the worktops and got my plumber to install sink and connect it up. Month later he call and sends photos saying the cut out is to big and worktop needs to be replaced

11. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

As I supplied plumber it' between us two to sort it. However he is away so for now it' up to me to resolve it. The trouble is a worktop is £600 ish from wickes hence my first question as to can use a different supplier. I'l put this through insurance so not much of an loss it' just a nightmare and one that could be resolved in a easier manner if he was willing to meet in the middle

12. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Ok, all has become clear now.
    On that basis then you are just going to have to suck it up. You should never have agreed to fit the worktops without having the sink on site in the first place. Personally i never cut a sink aperture out in situ, i always mark out take the top outside and cut it out. There is no way on earth i would ever let a plumber cut a sink aperture out. A plumber is not a kitchen fitter, as you've just found out. Sorry it's ended up this way, but at least you won't make the same mistake again.
    I still think you need to remove the sink and actually check yourself that the aperture is too big. Because if it's not too big, you can photograph it against the sink. Then show the customer and tell him to kiss your hairy one if he thinks you are paying for new tops.

Jord86 likes this.
  13. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

You can support the sink from underneath, that isn't a problem, what is a problem is if you can't hide the gap he's kicking off about. If you can, and you support the sink at no detriment I'd stick to your guns and refuse to replace the top. If he's got OCD or whatever else, that's his burden and affliction, not yours.

14. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

How would it go in court tho if he went for incorrect fitting on the basis a gap showed in the first place

15. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Irrelevant really if the finished result and appearance is flawless.

16. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I think he has pulled the dishwasher out and knocked the sink and possibly broken the seal.

Definitely take the sink out and gauge the situation. If it fits back in ok do that.

Take some pics of the work etc.

Stand firm on it.

Just because he wants a new one doesnt mean he should get it.

17. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Is it that the customer is upset because clamps can't be used, i.e. he doesn't trust the sink being set in silicone? Or is he just upset? Period.
    If it were me, I would refit the sink bedded in silicone, closing whatever gaps he created by moving the sink himself, and making absolutely certain that nothing leaks or moves once the silicone has set, and I'd send my invoice, and be done with it.
    Some customers will never be happy, and no one should indulge their bad nature.

Jord86 likes this.
  18. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

I'e spoken with him this morning after all your advise. He said a small gap is visible both sides of the sink if you move it across. I can only assume what' happened is when it was cut one line was cut on he correct cut line and the other cut was done sink outside mark. So when he installed the sink it was already only sat on a few mm either side. Now the top has expanded this gap has become visible. He' not upset as you put it about clamps not being used he' saying hat as the clamps have not been used it' clear the cut out it way to large. I asked to come and take a look before a knew top is ordered to see if I can get it so no gap is visible but he won' have that and said it' a bodge. If he worktop isn' replaced he will take it to a small.claims court as he has spoken to citizens advise before he even contacted me

19. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

So is he saying when you move the sink that a gap appears both sides?

Thats worded in a way that suggests that there is a gap one side and fine the other, then you move it and vice versa

So possibly when it sits central it is all good.

I would not take his word for it.

If you are going to have to order a new top, the least you can do is check that the new top is required.

Citizens advice and small claims are just nonsense. He is bluffing at present.

If he wont let you check the top in advance, I would simply refuse to do it and tell him to take you to the small claims.

Some sinks do sit on a tiny amount. As small as 5mm all round sometimes.

He has to be reasonable.

Very important to put it in writing though.

Send him a letter.

Dear sir

Sorry about blah blah blah.

Technical problem blah blah blah.

Like to arrange site visit to ascertain problem and resloution to seehow to proceed.

Arrange a convenient time blah blah blah.

I await your response.

Spen.

Jord86 likes this.
  20. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I personally think if he refuses to allow you to view the "problem" in advance of ordering the top, then he is trying it on.

I cannot see why he would not let you at least try to resolve it.

Possibly there may be another problem that he has caused. Damage? Maybe a burn or a dent?

Who fitted the dishwasher by the way?

Because whoever did should have put a foil moisture barrier above it to stop the heat and steam from the DW affecting the worktop.

Who oiled the tops?

Have they had coats on the underside in advance.