Outside tap

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by KevM, Apr 15, 2018.

1. KevM

KevM New Member

Hi

I have an outside tap fed through wall under boiler to copper pipe that runs to a point going under decking, where it is joined to plastic pipe that runs under decking to another joint where copper pipe then feeds up through decking to the tap mounted on outside wall.

Just turned my outside tap feed back on after the winter (at inside isolating valve) to hear water spraying under the decking where the pipe runs. Have managed to get to a point where i can see that a section of the pipe must be split (it's under decking so can't get directly to it) - probably after the very cold phase we had a while back.

My thoughts on a solution are to disconnect the plastic pipe at the angled joint/connector as it goes under decking (which I can just about get to), run a new length of plastic pipe, then cut the copper pipe feeding to tap and add another joint above the decking rather than under it.

My question (being a distinct amateur) is - is there anything particular to bear in mind doing this, or should it be a fairly straightforward job as long as I get the right size connectors etc?

Thanks

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

I wouldn't use plastic pipe under decking ,rats like to chew it !! Use copper.

KIAB likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And well insulate it.

terrymac likes this.
  4. KevM

KevM New Member

Thanks for the responses - I think the main reason for using plastic was for flexibility as the decking isn't easy to get under and it can be manipulated easier - and the underneath of the deck was done by previous homeowners and has rubble beneath it so very difficult to install rigid pipes under. We're actually going to replace the decking next year.

So if I took the chance on plastic again would you say the solution is feasible for this year, if not what you'd suggest doing?

Ta

5. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

You could replace the plastic pipe, but for winter time, you really need to turn the water off leading to the outside tap and ensure the pipe work is drained down completely.

6. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Sure you can just fit a new section of plastic. Bear in mind plastic pipe has to have a stiffener inserted at each fitting.
    And do as joiner john said during winter.

7. exbg

exbg Screwfix Select

When you replace the decking, ensurethat you have a means of draining at the lowest level. At the onset of winter, isolate inside, and drain outside.
    Laggimg does not STOP it freezing, it just slows it down

8. facilities

facilities Guest

Terrymac, nothing really to do with what the op was asking, but you mentioned rats, I'm pretty sure I'll be in the minority but I am dead against decking always have been mainly for the reason you have just mentioned vermin, how do others feel? (probably should have started another thread but not really that interested) also can't abide conservatories but for different reasons

9. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Mate of mine has just ripped out all his decking due to rats living under there.

facilities likes this.
  10. KevM

KevM New Member

Yeah I think that's what happened - it's isolated but I think there are dips in it where water may have settled. Either that or rats had it!

11. KevM

KevM New Member

We're sure there are things living under there as our dog keeps sniffing around - definitely toads if nothing else. We're thinking of an alternate when we rip it up - it'll be quite a task though as the old owners put it down and left all sorts of rubble under it so we'll need a few skips :)

12. exbg

exbg Screwfix Select

Haha, I have a run of decking over 20M long. I do not especially like decking, but when we moved in and cut back excess growth, we found a ruined concrete path to the bottom of the garden. It was quicker, cheaper and easier to deck over it than chop it up

13. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

I'd be interested to learn why, because our conservatory is the best room in the house. It's south facing, so frequently gets to 30 degrees on a sunny day in Feb, so we just open the doors and let all that free heat into the house. Since building it, we've been able to turn our heating on at least a month later and off a month earlier than beforehand. It's got nice big roof vents, so never overheats in the summer; and it's packed with my wife's tropical plants.

14. facilities

facilities Guest

Roger if it works for you that’s fine, must confess I’ve never had one, these are observations I see at friends & family

Hot in summer.
    Cold in winter.
    Furnishings fade
    A load of glass that needs a lot of cleaning.
    Roof glass usually covered in bird muck, and hard to access for cleaning.
    Doesn’t blend in with a lot of properties, looks stuck on.
    Would prefer not to lose a chunk of my patio area (need it for BBQ) May be ok if you have a large garden.

15. KevM

KevM New Member

Quick update - think I've solved it.

Got the side of decking off to discover a coupler and one of the pipes in it had popped out - refitted the pipe into the coupler and seems secure - now on and running with no leaks.

16. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

The pushfit fittings are great, but they really should come with a warning that the pipes do need to be clamped. I've had one of them pop out on me before because I had not yet put in the necessary pipe clamps to hold it all in place. Yes, they have little barbs that are supposed to prevent popping out, but those barbs aren't 100% reliable.