Burglary and self defence

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Pollowick, Apr 11, 2018.

1. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Apology accepted.

2. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

What apology?

You accused me of being anti-semitic. Based on absolutely nothing.

Now you have sensibly decided to withdraw that allegation.

3. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

So, stabbing to death a burglar is reasonable, but shooting them with a shotgun is unreasonable ? You're either in fear of your life or aren't Which is it ? (I'm not saying that Tony Martin was right )

4. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Read the actual facts of both cases.

They are very very different cases.

Tony Martin might like to think they are similar but they really arent.

There is a long list of people either not charged or acquitted over injuring or killing intruders.

The Tony Martin case is very different.

Illegal firearm

No licence

Lay in wait for night after night for his chance.

Absolutely hated all gypsies.

He was a far more dangerous individual than the person he shot.

5. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

No, re-read post #15, nor have I withdrawn any assertions on my part. As an aside, I admire your ability to lose a debate without resorting to name calling, DA could learn something from you.

6. joinerjohn1

So pray tell me, where did this burglar get stabbed ? Was it in the front, or was he stabbed in the back , running away from his attacker? (just saying like) Did the OAP hold a licence for a kitchen knife? (just saying like) Councils hate gypsies for parking on their land and costing them (us ) thousands to move them on
    So ,, following on from this, if your property was burgled several times and you decided to keep a baseball bat by your bed, and you were unfortunate to be burgled again and killed the burglar, should you be charged with murder? (just saying like)

7. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

JJ, I think it was proved that there was, to some degree, albeit a small degree, of pre-meditation. That's why he went down, 50 shades of grey areas surrounding this case, it doesn't really compare to the very recent case which was self defence, justifiable homicide or whatever.

8. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

You strongly insinuated that I was anti-semitic with your "jewish pikey" suggestion now seemingly you arent.

Perhaps you have realised that there is absolutely nothing to base that on.

You absolutely have backtracked on this.

You may want to kid yourself on that you havent but deep down you know its a groundless allegation.

9. joinerjohn1

See my reply above

10. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Possibly, although if it were me, after having killed the perp, I'd wipe me prints off the handle, then hand it to the wife.

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It is amazing that on any post on any subject the nastiest view will always taken by the same people.

12. joinerjohn1

Depends what you call the "nastiest view" chip. If you are protecting your property, who's to say what's "nasty" ?

13. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

DAs not here is he.???

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I rest my case :)

15. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

The police are fully happy that there is no case to answer. Clearly the evidence suggests that the burglar died as a direct result of the householder using reasonable force to protect himself.

Tony Martin case in nothing of the kind. While I understand you have no sympathy for Fred Barras surely you can seen the differences in the cases?

Tony Martin was breaking the law himself. Police have never been able to substantiate the claims of previous burglaries. He lay in wait intent on shooting anyone on his property. He wasnt attacked or assaulted. He would have simply shot anyone on his frankly derelict property. That could have been anyone. Broken down motorist, drunk walking home, a homeless person looking to crash.

16. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

The law strongly supports the right to self defence.

I cannot think of another case where someone was successfully prosecuted for killing an intruder.

Even public enemy number one Kenneth Noye was acquitted of killing an intruder.

The Tony Martin case is very very different.

17. joinerjohn1

Doesn't answer my question GB .. If you were burgled several times and kept a baseball bat (or whatever) by your bed, then killed a burglar in the act, in your own home, should you be charged with murder ? (obviously pre-meditated if you took to keeping a means of defence by your bed, simply because you were expecting it)

18. joinerjohn1

Surprising what membership of the Lodge will get you off with . ;);)

19. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

All I can do is refer you to your own comments on the train thread. If you sympathise with and support the assertions of the 'jew hater', you lay yourself open to scrutiny on other fronts, I've nothing against Fred Barras, other than he's a thief, and in some ways I respect your defence of him. I'm simply saying, would your defence be quite so rigorous if he were jewish?, bearing in mind, you know, the ringlets, rocking back and forth, displacing Palestinians and all that.

20. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

It's amazing how much I'm in agreement with you in recent days chips.