Burglary and self defence

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Pollowick, Apr 11, 2018.

1. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I very much doubt you would be charged with murder. Its not illegal to keep a baseball bat at home.

If you were in fear of your life and defended yourself you would be within the law

If however you left your front door open, stood behind the door all night with said bat and intended to beat to death the first person who stepped through the door regardless of their intention, I imagine the police would be interested.

Jord86 and Deleted member 33931 like this.
  2. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

This is ridiculous.

Utterly ridiculous.

You are making a complete spectacle of yourself here.

I couldnt give a monkeys about what faith someone is.

I really suggest you drop this as it is starting to stray into the area of trolling.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  3. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Was his front door left open? Unlocked? Is that really called premeditation? I remember in the 60's when house doors were always left unlocked. Anyone could walk in

4. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

And where exactly am I defending Fred Barras?

Its not a case of "picking a side"

You can condemn Tony Martin without defending Fred Barras but possibly that may be a difficult concept for some to grasp.

5. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

His house was in such a state of disrepair it appeared to be derelict.

Brendan Fearon said that him and Fred Barass believed it was unoccupied.

And in the 1960's when the front doors were open did you also take treads out of the stairs and lie in wait with illegal firearms?

6. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

I was simply quoting DA who you were defending on the other thread. If you're not in agreement with him, err, don't agree with him.

7. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Not really, in any legal case there are two sides, the prosecution and the defence.

8. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Blimey, you really dont have a great understanding of how the legal system is constructed.

It is perfectly possible to think Fred Barras was a not a nice person who deserved no sympathy while simultaneously thinking Tony Martin was not a nice person who deserved no sympathy.

The legal system isnt like armwrestling or pie face.

9. GB, GB, GB... You are trying to reason with Filly.

10. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

So let me clarify this.

Fiilyboy decides to call DA a racist.

I share a view with DA that I am not too keen on religion being as a reason to bulldoze homes and ruin lives.

That makes me a racist too according to Fillyboy.

Righto mate. Whatever you say.

11. facilities

facilities Guest

12. 'Simply quoting'?

So quote me, sunshine.

Go ahead.

Put words where your spine ain't.

You little fabricator you.

Soooo Trump-like; lies just tumble out. It is part of what you are.

13. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Sadly this post-truth society is flavour of the month presently.

Reasoned argument and the use of the truth is a dying art.

Forget the facts just sell the message.

This garbage with Fillyboy is just a perfect example.

Make a blatantly untrue claim.

Then row it back conditionally while still repeating variations of the lie.

And produce zero evidence.

But the lie is repeated so it gains traction.

14. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

No, there are three sides of the story...yours, mine and the truth.

15. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

This is true.

Increasingly however there is another side to the story too.

There is the defence case. The prosecution case. The actual truth. And the "truth" the media communicates.

Reference the Tony Martin case.

I genuinely believe many base their opinions solely on the heavily spun media reports.

The downplayed illegal firearm, the downplayed revoked licence, the downplayed additional illegal gun, the downplayed previous incident, the downplayed fact that the oft referred to "previous string of burglaries" are utterly without proof, the downplayed evidence of hatred for all gypsies etc etc.

These all frame the public "frightened vulnerable old man defending himself" opinion.

There is no "crisis" in the legal system over those using reasonable force.

The only two convictions I can think of are Tony Martin and a case where a householder came home, saw a burglar in the house, chose to go in and then incapacited the burglar, dragged him outside when he wasnt at any risk and stabbed him to death with over a dozen stab wounds.

There are numerous examples of people injuring or killing burglars with no charges pressed or in the case of Kenneth Noye acquitted at court of killing a policeman who he said he thought was a burglar.

16. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

So many people like rimmer...lol

Rs

17. You are a card, RS - a video clip for everything.

18. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

And usually a pic of tapas too. Because he is the only person to have ever set foot on Spanish soil.

And a new word. RS is the kind of bloke who loves showing off his new words. But doesn't actually understand what they mean.

19. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Do you think RS is showing markers of pathological right wing extremism? (a few good words there).

20. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member