Parking Charges at Screwfix

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by Comlec, Apr 15, 2018.

1. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Agree. Ignore the letter. Let them send you photographic proof too. Dont contact them.

2. HarDeBloodyHarHar

HarDeBloodyHarHar Active Member

Unless they have a single photo showing the mis-parked van not in bay, AND no driver in the van in the same frame, tell'em they took the picture while you were still attempting to park.

3. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

These parking companies will try anything. Just checking the car reg details are your current address with the DVLA.
    Would not be the first time they managed to get it through the court by using that excuse

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Don’t think it’s actual parking charges to leave vehicle in a space, more a fine for parking outside of bay markings

As above, probably all spaces are governed by 1 landlord and compliance is subbed out to a monitoring firm

I’ve had this at local Topps Tiles. Was looking for tiles and collecting samples, didn’t realise parking was restricted to 1 hour (signs are up by bays stating this) and as store was busy, we went over the 1 hour limit

Got a fine through the post, starting at £60, soon rising for non payment

Stormed back to Topps and demanded an explanation and refused to pay. They were very helpful, admited that this was a frequent issue and they would contact parking company on our behalf to ‘wipe’ the ticket

They explained that parking conditions are not controlled by Tops but put in place to stop cars being left all day as parking is free

Received a letter from Tops manager to confirm that the issue has been dealt with and we won’t have any further demands - all in all, not Tops fault but excellent customer service

I would imagine that this SF branch is aware of this situation but wonder if they will actually get involved - good luck

5. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I had a ludicrous situation once where the private parking enforcement firm, ticketed my van when it was inside my own industrial unit with the shutter up being loaded. For not parking within a marked bay! Guy apparently hid behind a car, wrote out the ticket and ran up and slapped it on.

It was inside my own unit for crying out loud.

I didnt pay, but I rang them and they cancelled the ticket.

6. big all

big all Screwfix Select

these private companies have no more clout than you or i
    they must proceed through the civil process like you or i
    they are allowed to pay and get your details via dvlc or voters open list
    i personally dont drive but think it should be questioned why any tom dick or harry[ett] should be allowed to get our details

7. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Blame Tony Blair for that??

8. big all

big all Screwfix Select

voters dvlc list or both ??
    or freeing up regulation on parking ??
    or something else ??

9. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Selling what ever he could to the highest bidder, in this case our data held by DVLA.

10. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

It's a huge earner for the DVLA, they pay £2.50 for each address. I'm not sure how the new data protection rules will affect that as they don't sell your details under a related law, simply for profit.
    Funnily they will still happily sell a Scottish address even although there is no keeper liability in Scotland, so absolutely no reason for them to be requested by the parking company.

11. facilities

facilities Guest

Do remember years ago before the DVLA started selling private reg the police would regularly pull you in if they thought it looked dodgy, now you seem to be able to have anything on your plate

12. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

sorry I'm going to disagree here. if you ignore them, you'll get a series of letters ending up in a small claims summons. this is the process the private parking companies rely upon. My suggestion is to respond now and challenge them asking for evidence. you can continue to fight it from there if they ever respond

The other thing I would do is to write to the company you were visiting and explain that at no time were the parking charges and penalties made clear to you by them so in your view you will cold them liable for any consequential loss. Whilst this may not hold up legally, it might just get them to help out on your behalf

when this is settled, I'd then take it as a clear message to shop elsewhere...

13. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Trouble is that private parking companies rely upon scaring people into paying when they shouldnt be.

They are well versed in dressing up meaningless letters before action as official documents.

14. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

absolutely agree, the problem is that ignoring the meaningless letters could result in papers from the small claims court arriving - better to proactively head them off

15. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

It is a urban myth that private parking fines are unenforceable.

But what is true is that they very rarely go to court to enforce them.

16. facilities

facilities Guest

theres a lot of barrack room lawyers on here Comlec, the juries out:confused:

17. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

What jury? This is a civil matter. Very unlikely to be a jury unless the parking attendant wrote something libellous on the parking charge notice.

18. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Unless OP signed for the letter, parking firm has no proof he received it, I had a letter put through my door late Friday evening, dated January 26th, no idea where its been.

koolpc likes this.
  20. facilities

facilities Guest

Just a figure of speech, I meant the SF jury on here are giving conflicting advice:rolleyes: