Parking Charges at Screwfix

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by Comlec, Apr 15, 2018.

1. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I was aware that it wasnt a technical breakdown of how the jury system related to civil law. It was simply an attempt at light hearted humour.

2. facilities

facilities Guest

Looks like it went over both our heads:p well mine anyway

goldenboy likes this.
  3. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

UPDATE
    Reply from Screwfix best summed up as “nowt to do with us mate” and advised to contact the Parking company or the Managing Agent for the land about the “fine”. The reference to the “fine” really p’d me off as it shows a lack of understanding of a civil invoice.

So nothing more to be done. Happy let the thieving gits go to court and prove the debt.

4. Broon

Broon Active Member

Comlec most likely nothing will come from this if you ignore it.

But the ruling has changed in England for sure. If you search up about it there should be a case you can find about a man who left his car for more than the time allowed and it was ruled that he would pay it and I think he was to pay costs as well. This has most likely set a president but as you we parked out of line with a bay it may be seen differently.

It wont have anything to do with screwfix as this will be a private company that have bought that car park and monitor it. Some companies do employ companies to monitor there car parks like Tesco. I doubt screwfix would though.

I would ignore it as I think they need to prove that it is you that was using/driving the van which I doubt they can prove.

5. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

That is extremely disappointing from Screwfix.

They or the landlords engage the services of the parking firm, they have direct "non consumer" points of contact.

You are a customer of them, they clearly dont value your custom.

On "small" issues like this a lot of business can be lost.

My local Screwfix has a tiny carpark and the few marked bays are alway full. Often with the same vehicles (staff?) I drive a huge van and so often have to park wherever I can. I would like to think they would have my back on this. Clearly not.

I have a TS right nearby. Their carpark is much bigger. Do I need to say anymore?

Jord86 likes this.
  6. Broon

Broon Active Member

That's not always true some of these private parking firms have bought the land so completely takes it out of screwfix's hands. I believe we have a local one called Euro Car parks which owns a car park and gives you a max stay of 2 hours.

7. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Unfortunately TS are next door so same car park.

8. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Just ignore the letter. It wasnt signed for.

9. blarblarblarblar

blarblarblarblar Active Member

You can’t ignore it. Ask to see the photo of you parking illegally or not fully/ wholly within the lines, but don’t ignore it. If there right, send your money elsewhere when it’s sorted, hit them where it hurts

10. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Plenty do ignore it.

Very rare private parking firms proceed to court because legally they are on very shaky ground. Need to prove signage, need to identify driver etc etc. Generally they give up. its a different world since the clamping laws changed. Now generally they rely on confusing/scaring people into paying.

Council fines. Pay them immediately.

11. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Visit www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/index.php and go to the private parking section. Lots of info on there to ensure you don't end up being forced to pay it.
    I would expect the signs will let them down or the letter. Then you have a reason not to pay.
    The important part us not to ignore the court documents if it gets to that.

12. blarblarblarblar

blarblarblarblar Active Member

Some of what you say might be True, but if they can’t prove with evidence that the vehicle was incorrectly parked they can’t take you to court, the onus is on them to prove their case, not you to prove otherwise. But don’t ignore the letter. I’ve looked on their website and they are registered so will follow up on any chance they get.

13. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Let them follow up. Dont respond to them.

14. facilities

facilities Guest

Going to play devils advocate here, firstly I detest parking enforcement companies be it the council or Euro Parks, but that does not mean I don’t think there is a need for them,

Without parking enforcement I consider chaos would ensue, Comlec I would ask you a question, did you have something on your vehicle that alerted you to the fact you were contravening the parking regulations? If so and you disagreed most would have taken a photo, have you got one and if you have can we see it? or were you unaware till the letter arrived at your house,

Every reply on here seem to be advising on how you should get off the charge irrespective of were you guilty or not,

You stated yourself that you would have parked in a disabled bay but that was already taken by a white van (possibly your idea of a joke?)

So in your words you were not causing an obstruction, that may be true but were you taking up 2 parking spaces, if you were stop crying and pay up, just saying

15. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Noooooooooooooooooo.

I think he was referring to my van, see post #7.

facilities likes this.
  16. facilities

facilities Guest

That likes for yer cheek:oops:

17. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

18. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Fully in favour of council traffic wardens. They do a great job and on the whole are pretty reasonable and will give plenty of leeway if its clear you are unloading etc. Without them it would be utter chaos and everyone would take the mick. Despite the lazy claims that they are all about the revenue, really their priority is safety and keeping traffic moving

Private parking firms are very different. All about the cash.

19. facilities

facilities Guest

Goldy as I’ve said traffic enforcement is a necessary evil, I have also come across council traffic officers that were jobsworths, but some were ok,

My point is everyone is advising Comlec on how to evade his fine, I’m afraid I don’t feel comfortable with this until I have more details.

20. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

From what Comlec said the fine seems unreasonable. Doesnt sound like he has parked inconsiderately, or overstayed. Sounds very much like it is sharp practice.