How to cover this.

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Ethanpeng, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Ethanpeng

Ethanpeng Member

The plumber has just replace my sink. But left this to me. I don’t think a big issue but still I need some advice from you nice people. What material need to buy to cover this up and won’t look ugly. Thanks
    upload_2018-4-21_14-21-3.jpeg

2. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Oh dear. The edges need a good filing before you cut yourself on them, for the chip, there is worktop jointing filler called colorfill, put that in any gaps/chips, leave to harden and trim off with Stanley blade. It comes in a range of colours to suit most worktops.
    Kitfit will have a fit when he sees that.

3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Unless you fit a chair under there, perhaps you'd be better off fitting two 300 base units back to back to the rest of the island. Otherwise cut a piece of end panel material that matches your kitchen colour just a bit more than wide enough to cover the gap, and glue it up.

4. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

:eek:
    Why is the sink cutout that far over the end panel OP ? Obviously the plumber didn't edge the worktop.......................or did he ? Because it don't look like it was done by a kitchen fitter :eek:

5. Ethanpeng

Ethanpeng Member

There is reason for that. Because this side was damp and falling that is why I decide to replace it. The plumber cut all the damp and smelly part off.

6. Ethanpeng

Ethanpeng Member

I am considering the second option which
    Is simply find a piece pVC board and glue it together.

7. Ethanpeng

Ethanpeng Member

Sorry I am not professional you mean I can put filler in that long gap? How?

8. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

I take it then the replacement sink is bigger than the sink it replaced ?
    As said already, the only real way to hide the cutout is a piece of gloss panel glued up underneath the worktop. I hope your plumber sealed all of the cutout edges ? Otherwise the same thing will happen again.

9. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

I think @fillyboy was actually talking about the chip in the worktop edging.

10. Ethanpeng

Ethanpeng Member

Sorry i don’t really get you. As kitfit1 mentioned the only way is to find a piece of gloss panel glued up underneath the worktop. So it will not matter how the edges look like. Am I right? Do you agree with kitfit1?

11. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Well it ain’t pretty for sure but realistically, how often and who sees under the worktop ?

Maybe when sat in the settee by window I guess

You’re not going to achieve a perfect fix and ur probably not going to go to the length and cost of sourcing colour matched end panel to use so, an easy option to tart up and make slightly better;

White faced hardboard, readily available and cheap. I would cover the complete overhang instead of just trying to patch up the extended sink cut out

2 pairs of hands, hold up hardboard to overhang and pencil around shape of overhang

Now draw a line around 10mm inside 1st pencil mark. Cut to this inner line . You have some tools maybe ? Jigsaw drill would be best for curve and clamp a ‘straight edge’ to make long cuts

Sandpaper edges to neaten. Glue in place using a contact adhesive or ‘no nails’ type of adhesive - I would recommend a solvent free adhesive as easier to use, firmly push board into place, use the solvent free adhesive to fill any gaps and smooth any excess away using a damp cloth

When dry, you will have a raw edge on show so could either paint white or a bead of silicon

Hardboard isn’t going to sit over the sink clips so either cut hardboard out around them or chop bit of worktop out so clips sit flush then fit hardboard

This method is a bodge but could either look ok or total s hite, just depends on your skill level tbh, and how fussy you are

What was the reason for the cupboard being so badly damaged previousely and so we assume this has now been rectified ?

Good luck

Re the comments about the chip and rough finish to the curve edge banding ......... guessing this has been like that since fitting and to yourself, isn’t such an issue. With all respects, this isn’t a newly fitted kitchen

12. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Just get a bit of thin board or whatever and stick it on. You could then paint the underside of the worktop so it all 'blends in'.

13. Ethanpeng

Ethanpeng Member

Thanks very much Professor for your detailed solutions. Yes the old one’s left hand side was damp and smelly and falling that is why has to cut all the section off.

14. Ethanpeng

Ethanpeng Member

Simple solution sounds good thanks

15. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Looks about the right size for a wine rack.

16. Ethanpeng

Ethanpeng Member

Seriously?

17. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

It's that or stick a piece of board underneath, you don't have too many options.

18. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Yes, seriously. That's why I suggested extra units in my original post. As Filly says, you aren't exactly spoilt for choice, unless you'd like to replace the worktop?

fillyboy likes this.
  19. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Waiting for kools suggestion of dynamite again,,,,,, mind you, not a bad idea in this case :p

That edge banding on the curve, wonder what method was used for ‘trimming’ it ......... ‘fitters teeth’ maybe :eek:

20. Ethanpeng

Ethanpeng Member

Sorry I didn’t quite get the first part (before otherwise...) of your original post (sorry for my poor English). I have to let the plumber cut the bad part as there is no point to keep the damp stinky part any more. I won’t replace the whole thing now because of the cost. I think I just need to get a piece of board to stick it on. Hope it won’t look too bad. Thanks guys.

Jord86 and CGN like this.