Homeopathy...real or rubbish

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by retiredsparks, Apr 18, 2018.

1. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

CAM is Complementary and Alternative medicine.
    Complementary medicine tells you that you’ve lost weight.
    Alternative medicine tells political jokes which only students find funny.

2. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

I don’t think anybody is denying that plants effect the body. Aspirin was isolated from willow bark , diamorphine (spelling?) is from poppies, digitalis was originally from foxgloves.

It’s the astronomical dilution that makes homeopathy controversial.

3. facilities

facilities Guest

Just to be clear before I submit further posts (I have had 1 or 3 rusty nails (as the dragon is baby sitting my lovely granddaughters) this homeopathy is it linked in any way to homophobia?

4. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

Yeah, but my point is that the “psychosomatic level” is real and effective.

People say “no better than placebo” like it’s a bad thing. There is double blind evidence that the placebo effect can be very effective for some conditions (especially those involving pain).

There was a paper recently that showed that placebo injections are so effective that they could be considered performance enhancing in professional sports.

Evidence shows the more fuss you put into your placebo regimes the more effective they are. They even have some effect when people know they’re receiving a placebo.

There have also been studies when people aren’t told they’re being treated with conventional medicine. They have worse outcomes than those who do know.

The mind-body link shouldn’t be underestimated just because it isn’t well understood.

Jord86 likes this.
  5. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Facs...stop drinking now....lol
    Rs

6. facilities

facilities Guest

Hic hic:confused:

Just in case does anyone want me to pass on anything to DA & IIR Hic

7. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

The Germans have been known to get overly fanatical about both of them.

They’re both seen in boots?

facilities likes this.
  8. facilities

facilities Guest

That’s more like it “back of the net”

9. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Aren't they due back from their holiday today?

10. facilities

facilities Guest

Could be right there Filly, think I will stay up into the early hours & check for postings every 10 mins, just want to be first to welcome them back:)

11. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

I asked one of our nurses why we didn’t give some patients “ placebos” ( the ones always asking for pain relief when it’s obvious they are not in pain( and yes we do have a few)) She told me it was deemed “ unethical “

btiw2 likes this.
  12. joinerjohn1

Which “ holiday” is this then? Surely not an enforced one ( again) ?

13. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

I don’t think the NHS can be seen to give placebos as it would shake people’s faith in whether they were being given “real” medicine.

It’s the dark flip side of the placebo effect - the nocebo effect (I haven’t made that unlikely word up).

14. Who was da banned for abusing and bullying this time.

15. joinerjohn1

Yep a strange one. We do have a few patients who “ try it on” where meds are concerned. If they were given paracetamol every time they asked for it, they’d be well over the safe limit ( and don’t get me started on the ones on “ oramorph” ;);)

16. retiredsparks

I suspect i shall shortly be accusedof being homeo pathic.

If you could.......Aids, yellow river fever, scrofula, dengue fever, boils, abcesses, paper cuts, prostatitis, thoracic aortic aneurysm, Bovine spongiform encephalopathy and Decrepitude.
    And a boil on the neck.
    Rs

facilities likes this.
  17. joinerjohn1

You sure that’s all you’d like to pass on to him ? :p:p:p

kitfit1 likes this.
  18. facilities

facilities Guest

Now where did I put that dictionary :(

19. retiredsparks

Well unless you can mention some archaic disgusting festering obnoxious malady such as ...
    Epitaxis or Erysipelas -
    Maybe explosive Coeliac Flu ?
    I am open to suggestions.
    RS

20. retiredsparks

Stick with me rodders ...and by this time next year....we will be millionaires...lol
    Rs