COST OF STUD WORK

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by SIMON WALKDEN, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Think you find it far different where i am,people will only pay what they can afford

2. Cecilb70

Cecilb70 Active Member

Stokes the same to many trades not enough money.

3. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Subbing, I charge 180, private 200 +
    Labourer (good one) getting 140 on a big site...
    To get decent chippy round these neck of the woods 125 would get apprentice, most agencies charge 200 for poor workmen, that gets 160 or 150...
    Rule of the thumb- pay peanuts- get monkeys ;)

Jord86 likes this.
  4. Sparkielev

think you miss the point you wouldn't get that where I am, it all area related am sure I could earn double what I earn if I moved further south

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

So are the costs.

Sparkielev likes this.
  6. Cecilb70

Cecilb70 Active Member

Not sure the costs of materials are different. The cost of general living is a bit more. It's the cost of housing that's much more . I'm on the staffs Cheshire border. I don't bother with stoke anymore. Without Cheshire I'd be stuck. It's more like loads of people are working with there hands in stoke so everybody knows someone whose a wannabee chip who'll do it for £60.

7. Sparkielev

Which
    which is what I'm saying it easy people saying they won't get out of bed for less 200 a day but they wouldn't have a choice further north I don't know any that gets that

8. Cecilb70

Cecilb70 Active Member

I can approach that but not in the stoke area. I also think more affluent areas have fewer people who get there hands dirty. House prices greatly affect earning ability. £200 a day isn't so painful if your properties £300000. But it starts looking a joke if your house is £80000.

Sparkielev likes this.
  9. KEVIN NAIRN

KEVIN NAIRN Member

I live in North London and charge £150.00 a day. I know of another chippy who charges £250.00 a day; I wouldn't have the nerve to charge that, but if you can, why not?

10. Cecilb70

Cecilb70 Active Member

Hi Kev £150 a day is probably cheap in London. But 300 earning days will work ok as 45000 . I'd rather 250 days at £200 a day. Less pressure to fill days more time to get decent work. Good half days etc.

11. KEVIN NAIRN

KEVIN NAIRN Member

I don't overcharge and never rip people off. I am always totally honest with the customer. I think £150.00 a day is a fair price. It's £750.00 a week which is good money. There are some companies in London that charge £75.00 an hour for the first 3 hours, or £350.00 a day. If a client buys an internal door from Wickes for £25.00, how could I justify charging £150.00 or £350.00 for 2 hours work hanging it?
    However, most boiler repairers inc British Gas charge you £96.00 just to LOOK at your boiler. They call it a "Site Survey and Diagnosis" I envy the gas engineer who can charge £100.00 an hour and carries a small tool bag. Who'd be a chippy?

12. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

There are two different pay rates, -
    One is just a wage, same as if you worked in Tesco’s with no other costs really other than getting to and from work.
    The second is the cost of a tradesman, or other professional who has overheads.
    Everything you pay for has additional costs built in.
    So you need to consider a tradespersons van, tools, insurance, holidays, travel time, etc.
    And another thing people forget a business need, if possible - Profit.
    By profit I mean, let us say you earn £25k a year and it just pays nicely for your business costs and living costs. Then someday you require a larger van, or bigger business premises, or just even an extra small piece of equipment for your business. Where does that money come from? Out of your wage? That would mean in effect your wage is actually lower than it appears.
    Heating and plumbing engineers have a different job to most other trades because they have other costs, plus often costly qualifications and have call outs and small jobs that cost a lot of time lost. So they will need more money than the lesser trades. ;)

Jord86 and AlvyChippy like this.
  13. Cecilb70

Cecilb70 Active Member

No but you could charge £50 for one a bit more for an oak door. Got five then £40 each. Gotta buy the ironmongery( or the doors) plus 10 or 20 %. Get rid of doors £10 per door. I find a days work as a journeyman take 11/2days to set up fetching carrying ordering etc etc.if your just turning up and subbing that's a different kettle.

Jord86 likes this.
  14. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

If you decide to diy don't get wood delivered , go to wickes and go through the whole pack if necessary to get straight ones , don't trust anyone to deliver as you get top of the pile , all the rubbish people like me reject , get wickes discount card , usually cheapest around