Mitre saw.

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Adam Godsall, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Adam Godsall

Adam Godsall Member

Hi all. Looking for a new mitre saw. Ive been looking at mainly makita as thats what im used too. Has anyone used the ls1016 or the ls1216. I need something thats accurate and will cut deep cornice. Also robust enough for site work. The ls1018 looks ok but the cutting capacity is quoted differently on differrent sites. I have a budget of around £500. Any advice greatly received. Cheers

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

High on my list would be the Bosch GCM 350-25, a 10" saw.

Search might find cheaper,& Quidco,TCB might save you a few more pennies.

https://www.axminster.co.uk/bosch-gcm-350-254-slide-mitre-saw-254mm-ax981246

Larger 12" saw, then Bosch GCM 12 SDE

https://www.axminster.co.uk/bosch-gcm-12-sde-dual-bevel-mitre-saw-ax960647

Replaced a eldely Makita saw, a couple of years ago,looked at several Makita saw, in showroom,quailty was a patch on the old saw, maybe some of the was due them being demonstrator models, ended up with the Bosch GCM 8 SJ, a 8" saw,well pleased with it.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    longboat likes this.
  3. Adam Godsall

Adam Godsall Member

Thanks i have been looking at the bosch also. Have always been loyal to makita but there new saws look less robust. I need a saw that can do everything. All 2nd fix. And cope with the ever increasing depth of kitchen cornice. Ive read quite a few reviews on the makita saws and was less than impressed.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Well, the two Makita I looked at (both demonstrators), one had rough castings & the slide was stiff, other had very slight play in rails,maybe saw mounting on rails, just enough to pull blade off the cutting line, if you change the way you pulled the saw across the work.

They weren't even close to my old Makita for build quailty.

5. Adam Godsall

Adam Godsall Member

Thats pretty much what i felt about build quality. My makita chop saw i have at the moment is 9 years old and still does the job just seen better days. just looking for a good replacement i have to admit the bosch do look better.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Find a good shop who has it on display & go & see one in the flesh,might be able to try it, then decide.

7. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

I've got the Makita LS1216L. I bought it to replace an LS1013 a couple of years ago. I think the early ones had build quality issues, lots of peeps talking about movement on the rails. This is not an issue with the one i have, if it was it would have gone straight back. Like you OP, because i'm a kitchen fitter it's mainly used for cornice and light pelmet. Cutting deep cornice is a dream with this saw. To be honest, i can see this saw lasting long past the point at which i retire.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

The Makita LS1216L is a upgrraded model of the Makita LS1214,there were a few peeps having issues with the LS1216L last year.

9. stubber1

stubber1 New Member

Have a very good look at the rage range I doubt very much you will be disappointed,
    I've had mine for 4 years or more after having a go on one on a site I was on.
    For the extra you would pay for a comparable Makita (everything else I have is makita just to be clear I have nothing against Makita) it's a no brainer

10. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

I have had an Elu flip saw for nearly 30 years now (table on one side and mitre on the other). It's the best tool I own and I have churned out anything from firewood o fine woodwork with its aid.
    DeWalt bought the exact same design from Elu, so you can get the almost identical thing today from them. I strongly suggest taking a look.
    It's a bit more pricey than £500, but well worth it.
    I find that if I cant' afford something I want, I look on eBay, as there are always people who buy things on an impulse, never use them for a few years, and then sell them off on eBay. There are also quite a few deceased estate sales on eBay, where I have picked up some excellent tools.

11. Adam Godsall

Adam Godsall Member

Went with the bosch gcm 12 sde. Omg its a beast. Looks well made though took a bit of adjustment out the box but so far so good. Good job once its set up it dont get moved around much

Jord86 and KIAB like this.
  12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Glad you like it,can highly recommend Freud blades like the LP60M 011 96 tooth, which gives a lovely finish cut.

13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I have a Bosch GCM 12 GDL with the wheeled base and all in it is about 70 kgs

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Absolutley love that saw & the Axial-Glide system used, do wish Bosch would bring use the 10" version - CM10GD), they have in the states.:(

15. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

It has been really useful making up some large chevron fence panel panels. One dry assembled before sanding and the edges and centres V grooved, It will be painted re-assembled, quadrant beading around the frame. I made up some light boxes for the centre.

upload_2018-4-27_10-12-38.png

KIAB likes this.